
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"~ C.S. Lewis ~
I love a good tantrum! When I was young my mom would say, "You can get happy in the same pants that you got mad in!" To that I would so very smartly reply, "Well then I will just go change my pants!"
After reading the quote for the week, I started to reflect on how I react to God's direction in my life. If it is not what I want to hear I throw a fit before God. "BUT WHY???, " I ask. I can just imagine Him answering me the way my parents used to, "Because I said so!"
There is a popular saying among churches, "There is a reason for everything!" But what if you are sick of being the reason. Does anyone understand what I am saying here?!? Why do I have to be the one always being tested? Why is it that my life is always in a holding pattern? What are you doing here Lord?
I have been studying the life of Joseph the last few weeks. Imagine having your brothers throw you into a pit to later sell you into slavery. Years later he is accused of something he did not even do and thrown into prision; when the truth is he fled from tempation. While in prision Joseph interprets two men's dreams. He says to one, "My only request is that I not be forgotten when your position is restored." Yet two full years go by before this man remembers Joseph. How do you think Joseph responded? Did he say, "Thy will be done" or did he say, "All right then, have it your way." (Story of Joseph found in Genesis 37-42)
Forgive me for putting my own spin on it for a second. I believe Joesph probably replied both ways-he was human after all. Maybe there was a lesson to be learned in his two years in prision. Just like maybe there actually is a reason for this season of my life. God has something for me to learn. If you take a look at the story of Joesph, his character did a complete 180 before the story concludes. What happened to the teenage boy with the brightly colored coat? He was not the same man that went before Pharoah years later. God transformed Him.
The next time you find yourself in a "holding cell" ask God to show you why He has brought you here. Ask Him to reveal anything in your life that is not of Him. Ask Him to remove all angerness, bitterness and hurriedness to move beyond this moment. Instead adopt an attitude of praise knowing that God will direct your paths and lead you to a higher place when He sees fit.
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time."
1 Peter 5:6
3 comments:
Great post, and so true! I needed thoes words today, thank you. Esp. about the "holding pattern".
What a great example. Thanks for sharing it with us. Being human have tantrums are all part of it. To praise God is hard when we're in the holding cell, yet it is what get's us through and on to that higher place. I love how you put it. God Bless
I am so with you on that! Hugs!
Post a Comment