Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Why the Prayer Journal Works For Me!

It started when I was in high school-looking for a way to release. A friend showed me her prayer journal-and next to each prayer request was a date and the word AMEN. Which translates to: God answered and the date it happened.

I became intrigued with this idea. I started to write and write I did. I now have close to 50 journals-some I have kept-some I have thrown away. But the prayer journal has become my way of documenting my journey.

The year I met Jeff-I started to pray for a husband on a nightly bases. I have each prayer written down. I will give to him one day-he knows they are there-I just think it would be a neat anniversary gift, when the time is right. So I am holding on to them. When we started to date-I wrote out each little detail. A couple of weeks before the wedding- I freaked out-thought I would call the whole thing off-I prayed it out in my prayer journal. I walked down the aisle and never looked back. I just knew that it was the right thing.

I have had highs and lows and those moments in between but God has been there through it all. I have shared my deepest darkest fears, my funny moments of my days, my happy moments, my sad moments and still God has been there.

Recently I started listing my prayer request in one sentence lines-and then writing out the bible verse that was laid on my heart that coincidently enough coincided with my prayer request. I memorized the scripture and throughout my day- that same scripture will pop up and I will think "Oh that belongs to so and so-they must need me to pray over them" Then I pray-I could be walking through Wal-Mart and the name or scripture pops into my head so I start to pray.

"Draw Near to God and He will Draw Near to You!" James 4:8

I believe this to be true. Because I have allowed my self to be drawn into a time of prayer with my heart, mind and soul-I am closer to God. Atleast that is what I choose to believe. One of the greatest compliments ever given to me was by a friend who told another friend in my presence, "If she says she is praying for you she is and she has the pages to proove it!"

So I will continue to pray, continue to write and one day will lavish the moment when I can write Amen and the date next to a prayer request for myself or for others. Because God will answer our prayers when His timing is right!
For more What Works For Me See: Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer-there could be something you need!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my prayer journal.

I love to look back and see what the Lord has shown me or how he has answered my prayers...I hope that these journals one day become heirlooms and a lesson on faith for my children and grandchildren.

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Aww what a sweet anniversary gift that will be!

~Leslie