Sunday, December 10, 2006

I Can't Sleep...

It is 3:40 AM and I can't sleep. Maybe it is all the things that I have on my heart keeping me up. Maybe it is the fact that at 1:30 AM my husband's cell phone went off-it was set to vibrate and it started rattling on our dresser. I jumped so fast-afraid someone might have an emergency. I swear I should of been a doctor-I wake up FAST. Now I can't sleep.

Today Jeff and I took a huge step in this journey we call life. We started house hunting. We found a house. We decided to pray first before we proceed any further. No rush-God's timing is perfect. If the house sells while we are praying then it wasn't the one for us.

Sometimes people don't understand our need to pray before we act. That's okay-but we believe in it so we continue to do our own thing. Plus when you have the song "Teach Me Lord to Wait" playing in your head over and over you learn to do just that...wait!

Do you know the song, you should it's a good one. I will sing it for you.

"Teach me Lord to wait down upon my knees-till in your own good time you will answer my pleas. Teach me not to rely on what others say or do but to wait in prayer for an answer from you. Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength-they shall mount up with wings like the eagles-they shall walk and not grow weary they walk and not faint. Teach me Lord! TEACH ME LORD TO WAIT!"

You wanna know the part that chokes me up every time? It's the line that talks about not relying on what others say or do.

You see-everyone seems to have their opinion on what Jeff and I should do. You need to get a degree, Susan. You don't really need a degree, have a baby. Buy a house. Why do are you signing another lease. Don't name your kids that-name them this. Do this do that-don't do this don't do that. It gets a little tiring after awhile. Especially when God is saying WAIT or whatever else He may be whispering in our ear.

I was upset the other day, after a few opinions were brought my way that hurt my feelings-only because they did not agree with my opinion. Jeff reminded me that it's not the other peoples opinions that I should be worried about but living according to God's word. He said I need a tougher skin-to not sweat what others say about us as long as we know without a shadow of doubt we are living according to God's word. Reason #1985 of why I love this man...he keeps me grounded.

This event reminded me once again of our newly adopted family motto: "Only give advice or your opinion when asked."

Anyways-the point of this blog was to see if I could type out whatever that was on my heart keeping me from a good nights rest. Praise God today is Sunday-I have three things on my to-do list: 1) Sing with little friends in church 2) Take a Sunday nap-long one-no interruptions 3) Watch Charger Football.

Looks like today will be a good one-just pray I am not grumpy from my visit to blog land!

4 comments:

laura said...

as i listen to your words i so identify with you. i have always longed to be the wise woman that i have in my mind. i think that she is mixture of so many Godly women that i have met in this life all rolled into one. but one thing she does beautifully is listen to the Lord above all else. She is a prayer warrior and always goes to her Heavenly Father before moving forward in this life. i felt the pressure to listen to others even more since being here, as in this culture everyone's business is everyone's business, whether it's your health, your family, your marriage, your faith, or your children. but i'm learning... slowly oh so slowly but surely that God has put within me the prompting and the guiding to the places (literally and figuratively) that He wants for me to go. so i will hold my head high as i march to the beat of His drum, and no one else's. my prayer is the same for you dear friend! Good luck in the house hunting, and know that with us, it was like when i just knew that Gary was the one, i walked into our first house and "just knew" and i hope it can be the same for you!

Anonymous said...

oh this is a journey... after 10 years of marriage and two children you'd think I'd have this one down... your motto is my motto... (I know you know this) you are loved by many and those people giving you their opinion love you dearly and mean well... doesn't make it any easier to deal with but you can trust their motivation is good hearted. You are such a genuine open person maybe people feel extra compelled to give you advice. You and Jeff are at such a pivotal time in your life making BIG decisions. And there is something to be said regarding godly counsel and those who are older and wiser than us... all that to say... I hear you girl and you help me remember to not give my opinion nor advice unless asked... except I guess that I’m doing exactly what I shouldn’t be doing in this comment. Except maybe you did ask since you posted this on your blog? and conveniently there is a comment section…? *sigh* (O:

Beck Boys said...

Opinions are just that opinions - everyone has one and nobody wants to hear them. Keep on keeping on. Take one day at a time and things will work out with God's help.

Barb said...

Susan, you and Jeff should listen to each other. No one else. Period.

I promise you, it's true. And it's very exciting that you're house hunting. Most of all, it so nice that you know you should pray FIRST, then proceed.