
Above is Jeff, teaching Children's Church. Sadly I did not have the camera with me to illustrate the story I am about to tell.
A few weeks ago I was practicing with the praise team before church, while Jeff sat out in the pews. It's the same scenario every Sunday I sing. We arrive together two hours before church starts and Jeff sits and watches us practice. I do not expect him to do this but he says he doesn't mind. As I was practicing the other day, I looked out into the audience and saw Jeff sitting contently on the sidelines. I stopped and said a quick prayer to myself for God to reverse the scenario--Jeff serving in his ministry and me sitting on the sidelines, supporting him.
This same Sunday we were teaching Children's Church. During the Hug & Howdy time, I saw Jeff walking behind the row of chairs where the children sit during praise and worship. As he walks, he is smiling and talking to each of the children. A few he is having to quiet down but most are behaving. As I watched, I realized that Jeff is where he loves to be, the back row surrounded by a bunch of children. Later we take the kids out to the playground. For a few minutes, he and I are both sitting on a little bench that allows us the perfect viewpoint of the children at play. One child comes over and Jeff begins asking him about his recent family vacation to New Jersey. This little boy is laughing and enjoying telling us every detail, Jeff is actively listening to every word. While they continue to talk, I realize more and more kids are coming over to talk to Jeff. At this time there are probably 5 kids standing in front of us. I was perfectly happy to sit back and watch the kids and Jeff interact with each other. A few minutes goes by and Jeff says, "Who wants to play a game?" I kid you not, every single child came running over to join in the game.
The game consisted of Jeff taking the kids through an made up obstacle course on the playground. Each child had to finish each stage in order to move ahead. What made me laugh was watching Jeff demonstrate each obstacle for the children. He was in his element. As I continued to sit on the bench, I realized for the first time that during Children's Church I was the supporting player. There is nothing more rewarding than to see your husband thrive in the ministry that God has given him.
Even on Sundays that we are not teaching Children's Church, the kids still come up to Jeff to tell him about their week or the upcoming events in their life. The supporting role is really one of my favorite ministries that God has given to me.
Thank you Lord for all that you have done in our lives.
2 comments:
This is such a sweet post, Susan. I love the ways you affirm your man!
That is precious.
Post a Comment