Saturday, March 25, 2006

Mary Watkins

I woke this Saturday morning with a sense of purpose. My mom's coworkers wife has been in the hospital this week with stage 4 ovarian cancer. Yesterday my mom went to visit her at the hospital-today I too would drop by for a visit.

I bought a card at Wal-Mart last night with the words "Praying God's Comfort" inscribed on the front. As I was getting dressed to visit this lady, whom I have never met, a verse came running through my head. 2 Corinthians 1:3, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in our troubles..." So I wrote this inside the card 2 Cor.1:3-7 to be exact. Except I never signed her name to the front of the card because I could not remember if her name was Penny or Peggy. I thought to myself, "It doesn't matter, I will just give it to her."

As I was driving over to HEB hospital, I had this peace wash over me. I knew that although I was there to bring this lady comfort, it would actually be my life that would be comforted today. I press the 2 button in the elevator and head to the "terminally ill" floor of HEB. As I was walking to room 210, I caught glimpse of a lady in room 214. I thought to myself, "Bless her heart she is all alone."

Come to find out room 210 is empty-praise God Penny is at home resting! I turn around guessing my work is done, but as I was leaving I passed room 214 once again. This time I was able to get a better look at all the monitors and iv's her poor body is strapped to. Down to my car I walk, I put my keys in the ignition-ready to pull out, when the lady in room 214's face crosses my mind. What if this is the person I was to give this card to instead of Penny? I never wrote Penny's name on the card since I couldn't remember if it was Penny or Peggy. I take my keys out of the ignition, step out of the car and head once again to the 2nd floor, the floor for the terminally ill.

As I walk past 214 there is a doctor in her room. So I proceed to the nurses station. I explain to this nurse my reason for being here and wanted to know if she could pass this card to the lady in room 214 instead. The nurse, with tears in her eyes replies, "She too is a very strong Christian and could use a little bit of comfort today. Her family has yet to come see her and she has been a little teary this morning. Why don't you give it to her, the doctor will be out soon? " Then the nurse turns away-leaving me no chance to protest her request.

I walk into room 214. "Hi, my name is Susan and I have originally came today to see a lady in room 210 but she has already left. I have this card that I believe God intended for you to have. Do you mind if I share it with you?"

The lady in room 214, fumbles to open the card, after she has opened and read. She reaches for my hand and says, "Isn't God good!" (I am dumbfounded because "Isn't God good" is what I always say!) I smile into her big blue eyes and say "Yes, He is!"

The lady in room 214, is named Mary Watkins-member of Birdville Church of Christ, dying of breast cancer that has spread through her body. God knows when she will be going home-either home to heaven or to her house. Maybe her true home will come first. But what struck me as I was leaving is the way in which our little worlds collided. I on a mission to see someone else-while she was praying her family would come for a visit. I guess today her family did come to visit-her spiritual family. As I left, I told her I would be back on Monday to see her again.

When I got to my car, I began praising God for orchestrating our meeting. Mary told me today I would be blessed by doing God's will today. Truer words have never been spoken.

God is good! God is good!

No comments: