Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Exaltation + Ego=Extravagant Humbling


"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."
Proverbs 11:2

Pride can be a dangerous thing-it sneaks up on you when you have your guard down and if you are not careful it could destroy all that is good in your life. I just got back from my trip to "Humbleville" so I can tell you first hand that this is not a trip I wish to take again. But I am sure that if I don't let God lead me daily that I just might find myself there again.

I have just finished week 7 of my 10 week study called "The Patriarchs" with Beth Moore. Every Tuesday I am up by 5:30 a.m so that I can partake of this study with some other ladies in the community. For me to get up at 5:30 a.m willingly you know it is good. We are studying one of my favorite characters in the Bible, Joseph. Maybe the reason I like him so much is because he too had his fair share of visits to "Humbleville." My favorite part of the story though is the end-when Joseph is reunited with his brothers. Hollywood couldn't write a better ending!

Here is what I have learned:

"God's exaltation of man is never for the man himself but rather to glorify God and to edify others. Dear one, let's allow this truth to abide in our marrow: If God ever exalts on of His own with position, wealth, talents, gifts or influence. His purpose is never-not ever-human exaltation. In fact, the exalted person would be the last one the exaltation was meant to serve...Exaltation + Ego=Extravagant Humbling!" Beth Moore

I must say-I have been on my knees every since I read this phrase asking the Lord to remove any desire for me to be exalted. (Side note: For those of you who know me and just read this and thought to yourself "Man, SHE did need to hear that!" Let me ask that you turn your attention not on my failures (there are many) but re-read it with a open heart, mind and spirit.

Is there something that God is wanting to reveal to you today?

No comments: