Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Storm-Part 1

"He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:29-32

I must admit that tonight I am at a loss for words. There is so much that I want to share but not sure where to begin. All I know is that I have a need to get some words from my heart to this page. Over the summer I have been reading a Psalms a day-today I read Psalms 107. The above is a little part of what I read today and I must admit it brought a tear to my eye.

The last few months have been a roller coaster ride for my husband and I. Many changes and decisions are being made now that we like to call, "life altering." Many times I feel one way and he feels another-we are on two different sides of the field most days, ready to duke it out. During the spring, I started to pray with a dear friend who has encouraged me to not bring my issues to J without first bringing them to God. And when I say "bringing it to God" I mean leaving it at His feet and me keeping silent in this process, while God did the work. Well if you know me, you know that silence is not my forte! Let's just say a storm was raging in my heart. At one point, I was about ready to burst. Anger would be a mild description for what I was feeling-rage would be more like it. But I knew that I could not and would not take this out on my husband-although it would of felt so good to whack him upside the head repeatedly until he saw things my way. I woke up early one morning after a night spent tossing and turning in bed. I pulled on my running shoes, tied my hair back and was off to "beat the pavement" almost literally. When I got home, there was a note on my door from my mom. (She lives next door, that is another post all together-and no it is not the reason for J and I's roller coaster ride!)

The note said, "S and J-Exodus 14:13-14, You are in God's hands-be faithful! Be hopeful! He will be your strength! Mom!

I immediately went to look up Exodus 14:13-14.
It says, "Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today...The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."
I sat down at my kitchen table and wept. You see, during my run, I kept hearing a little voice inside me saying, "Lay it down! Lay it down! Be still and know that I am God! Be still and know that I am God!" Yet I did not want to listen. Exodus 14:13-14 was my confirmation that it was time to let God fight for me and for me to be still. That day changed everything for me. For the first time, I decided to let God fight for me!
To Be Continued...

No comments: