Monday, August 07, 2006

The Storm-Part 2

"He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven."
Psalms 107: 29-30
Yesterday I left off with the day God changed me and showed me that He would be the one to fight for me. You may think that after this divine appointment that I would of began a life of peace and joy, knowing God was fully in control of the outcome. Friends, this was not so. The battle grew worse inside me! Spiritual Warfare perhaps??
I continued to pray day and night that God would show J and I direction. What was His plan? His reason for this season?
I solicited prayers from my women's bible study group. My prayer request each week was this, "That we would be open to the plan God had for us." But my prayer focus was always J never myself. I just knew that my way was God's way so eventually J would come on board. But God does not take kindly to us dictating to Him the plan for our lives.
During the next few weeks God began a mighty work in me. One day after weeks of being silent-J came to me willing to help me get the answers we would need to make a healthy decision for our "life altering experience". I saw this as a huge answer to prayer. We met with a "life altering expert" and the meeting did not go my way. Needless to say I was hurt, scared, angry all at the same time.
But let me rewind just a little bit. The night before the "life altering appointment" I began to read "Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free" by Nancy Leigh Demoss. (Ladies, this is a must READ!) This book covers a series of lies that we have been told throughout our life and then counter acts with the truth from the Word of God.
Here is the lie that I have believed all my life: "God Should Fix My Problems."
But the truth is: "Life is hard. God is more concerned about glorifying Himself and changing me than solving all my problems. God has an eternal purpose He is fulfilling in the midst of my problems." (page 59) Talk about hitting you over the head!
I sat on my floor dumbfounded and prayed, "Lord do I have the Genie in the Bottle mentality? Do I only trust you when things are going my way? Or do I trust you no matter what comes my way?"
So fast forward to after we walked out of the "life altering" office. J reaches for me and says, "Talk to me!" And I said in a not so gentle voice. "Not now, I need time to process this." When in actuality God and I were having a heart-to-heart that went something like this:
God-"Child, do you trust me?"
Me-"I want to but I..."
God-"No buts, yes or no. Do you trust me?"
Me-"Yes, I do trust you."
God- "Then let go and let me do what I have been saying I will do."
Later that afternoon, J and I had the best conversation we had in years. And guess what, we both walked away with two things, direction and a new prayer focus. So Sunday during my quiet time, Psalms 107:29-30, was the perfect verse to wrap up this last week. God has calmed the storm.

No comments: