
This is my first 'It works for me Wednesday" post so here it goes! What works for me is my kitchen timer. Let me explain, I work at home and I have lots of people who count on me to get my work done in a timely manner. It would be easy for me to do nothing but since I enjoy working at home, I do not want to jeopardize my job in anyway. I am easily side tracked so I came up with this new system to help me stay focused.
Each day I wake up at the same time, have my daily devotional time then I get dressed first thing (make-up, clothes including shoes and hair done) then I start my work day. I try to start and end my day at the same time each day. This way I am not stuck working 24-7 just because it is in my home. From the start of my day, I set my timer for 45 minutes and during that 45 minutes I work without distraction. Then when the timer goes off, I reset it for 15 minutes and step away from the computer. During this time I start a load of laundry, check my personal email or call a friend to chat. But when the 15 minutes is done I start another 45 minutes and get back to work.
I realize some of you may be thinking this is a very rigid way to live out your day. But for me it has allowed me to do more away from my work at night. Spend time with my family, read a book or blog to all of you! Plus I have the peace of mind knowing I am getting all accomplished for my job!
If you want to read more "Works for me Wednesdays" go see Shannon at "Rocks in My Dryer"
4 comments:
I work from home as well, and this will help a great deal! I've always got thoughts about that load of laundry etc. floating around in my head.
Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for stopping at my place yesterday. This idea you have is a great one! I'm wondering if you ever followed fly lady, she's a big advisor of using a kitchen timer to keep yourself moving during the day. And the taking a break - when I do bills, budget, etc. I have to stop here and there to keep fresh brain cells available. Otherwise I get so blogged down I make no progress. Thanks for telling everyone about a great time mgmt tool. Simple but very effective.
Welcome to WFMW! That's a great idea. I am at home (not working) but this could help me stay on track.
Mom is a HUGE fan of the timer. It really works for me even though I would never admit that to her! Great Post!
Post a Comment