Monday, November 06, 2006

Weddings Vs The Marriage Part 1




It is no secret in my family that while planning my wedding almost 4 years ago, I became a little obsessed with the wedding planning. Jeff and I both worked together to pay for this little shin-dig. It was a struggle from day one-especially since neither of us wanted to go into debt to pull this thing off. We also had different views on how things should go. I had always envisioned a wedding with every single one of my family and friends. Jeff just wanted his close family and his two best friends. He didn't care who came he just wanted to get married. I did because I wanted all the bells and whistles.

My husband sent me a card while after one of the biggest fights of our relationship. The reason for this fight: the number of guests to invite. The card said, "Let's not forget that in the end the only thing that should matter on March 8 is you and I becoming man and wife." I soon realized how off base I had been while planning the wedding. After that card, things didn't matter anymore because in the end the only thing that mattered was Jeff and I becoming man and wife.

The total cost of our wedding was just over $5,000. We did not have a caterer-we served Cake, Punch and M&M's. It was at 2 and my cousin was getting married the same day at 7. So all of our families went out to eat between weddings. We had friend who was looking to start her own photography business photograph our big day. That alone saved us tons of money. Our church has a "Wedding Pantry" for all the small things you need-punch bowl, ceramic columns, linens that sort of thing. My mom paid for the wedding dress as our wedding gift. I made all the bouquets except my own. Jeff insisted that I have "real flowers."

About three weeks out from our wedding, I truly started enjoying the moment. When it came time for the wedding-I was having fun, laughing with my friends and enjoying the moment. Looking back, I am thankful for each and every person who helped me put the "Wedding Crazy" into perspective. I couldn't wait to walk down the aisle to my future husband. I laughed when my niece Faith threw a fit because she did not want to walk down the aisle. No big deal-I knew these things would happen so I just chilled. 5 minutes before the wedding my two best friends waited with me upstairs and we laughed and cried at the whole journey. I grabbed my grandfathers hand and we prepared our little assent. He told me " You can back out now if you want." As we passed the table in the atrium at our church filled with M&M's he stopped to help himself-he insisted that I take a drink of punch too. I said, "We have to go they are all waiting for us!" And he winked at me and said' " You sure you don't want to call it off!" I just grabbed his arm and yanked him towards the door.

Tune in Wednesday for the advice I NOW give to all new brides...

3 comments:

Jodi said...

And I totally remember what a PERFECT and BEAUTIFUL day it was! I still am so honored that I got to be a part of it! :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

It was a beautiful day!

laura said...

It is those little things you remember... the moments in between all the craziness. That's what i tell brides to look for and remember... to savor. i don't remember a whole lot about our wedding day... but i remember standing up at the front of the church singing Great is Thy Faithfulness (we used alot of congregational singing) and crying... thinking God is so faithful to me! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the little moments of your day!