The other night I was picking up a few stocking stuffers at the local Target. It was probably around 9 maybe even 10 o'clock since I had stopped on my home from some event or another.
Let me give you a little feedback on my shopping habits so you can understand the rest of the story better.
- I never carry a purse into the stores when I am alone. I grab my license and debit card and place them both in my back jean pocket. Since it is a little snug back there-if you know what I mean.
- I gather up all the bags in one hand and carry my keys in the other while I am walking out to the car. Just in case I need to strike.
- I always walk with a purpose since that is what the police always tell you to do after reporting a robbery in the area. I never dawdle.
- I throw my bags in the back seat so I can look to see if there is an intruder chilling back there and then I quickly get into my car after I see that no one is lurking.
Hopefully from this list you can gather one of two things about me: I am paranoid or I am one very cautious (some call it smart) chick.
Now that you know my shopping habits, let me tell you my Target story.
Walking out to the car after shopping doing all 4 things listed above a big man with tattoos walks towards me.
"Miss, hey miss!" He says. "I need your help!"
I turn towards him checking out my options. I was trying hard not to freak out! In his hand I spy a flyer and in the other hand I see a little sparkling key chain. At this point, I was thinking to myself, "I have seen these things before" and my mind begins to ease-this was divine providence I assure you. You see, I used to work in a poor part of town and people would come in with "the ministry" to sell beaded key chains to help those who couldn't kick the crack habit. I nicknamed it the "Crack Ministry." I have never supported this ministry because most of the people selling the beaded key chains looked like they were on crack. They were after all the "Crack Ministry!"
After he explains that he is "selling these beaded key chains for $3.00 to help support those who need help kicking the habit"-I decided it was his turn to hear my thoughts.
"You realize you are stopping a woman at night-coming out of the dark-and you can be presumed to be a scary person. If you are really looking to make a difference don't do this at night-wait until day light so that the people you approach will know that you are not a threat. Now if you don't mind-I need to be on my way."
I have NEVER been that bold but I don't want some poor lady having a heart attack in the middle of the Target parking lot. BTW-the "My Name is Crack" is the title of the flyer he passed to me-I had a great laugh the other day after I took time to read what it said. I think I will bring it in from my car and post it for all of blog land to see. It's funny!
4 comments:
Oh girl I totally would have had a heart attack.
It has been awhile but we have had people come to the door (after it is pitch dark) trying to sell something. It use to scary me to death. I would just let my dog bark and bark.
I am so glad you stood up to him =)
I too am a cautious/paranoid by-myself shopper. I probably would have had a heart attack too! Glad you were safe, and that you gave him that tidbit of advice! :)
I would have had a heart attack! What was he thinking?? Glad you are safe and good for you for telling him to do that in the day time.
I have had encounters like that in parking lots, I have always wanted to tell the men, all have been asking for money...that first of all my husband would not appreciated them approaching me in the dark in a parking lot, and second...you are really asking to get pepper sprayed.
I had one man approach me this way years ago when I had 3 small children, I was trying to quickly get them into the van and get away from the guy...thank goodness a nice man saw what was going on and came over to help.
I don't know why men do this to women at night, it is always scary.
I never say what I want to, it would probably come out sounding shrill and mean...
good post!
Jenny in Ca
www.homeiswhereyoustartfrom.blogspot.com
Post a Comment