Tuesday, January 02, 2007


My plan was to sit down and write out my 2007 meditations yesterday morning. I got halfway through and realized that I needed to pray about it first. So I saved my draft-left a comment on Laurel Wreaths blog saying "I will be back in a few." Then while I was praying-I had a strong prompting to talk to Jeff about his/our expectations for 2007. Which resulted in one of our best conversations ever. It was so nice to sit down yesterday with my husband and reflect on where we have been in 2006 and then get a "plan" of where we would like to be in 2007. God has definitely blessed our communication skills this past year.


I have been trying to read a Proverbs a day. It has been a few days since I have done this but felt like this would be a good place to start again in the New Year.

I opened up to Proverbs 16 and found a few key verses that I believe will now be our focus in 2007.

verse 3: "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

verse 5: "Better a little with righteousness than much gain with injustice."

verse 9: "In his heart a man plans his course but the Lord determines his steps."

verse 18: "Pride goes before destruction a haughty spirit before a fall."

verse 21: "The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction."

verse 32: "Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city."

From this list I came up with five things that I would like to see change in my life during 2007.

1. Trust in the Lord's plan for our life. Not rush to buy a house or have a baby but trust that the Lord will determine our steps and the way we need to go.

2. I would like to be someone who promotes peace in all areas of my life. I believe as a wife it is our job to set the "temperature" gauge for our family. I want my house to be filled with love, peace and joy. A safe haven for all to come and find rest.

3. I want to be someone who is not haughty or easily angered.

4. I want to guard my tongue and only say those things that will bring healing to others and not tear others down.

5. I want to continue living below our means. I do not want to go into debt just on the basis of "looking good" to the outside world.

Jeff and I would both like to have the following happen in 2007:
1. Buy our first home
2. Have a baby.

But as we read yesterday in Proverbs 16-"Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed." Neither of us want to take matters into our own hands or move before God tells us to move. We would just like to trust that God's timing will be perfect. We know that if we stay committed to the Lord's plan for our lives then we will find satisfaction. So for the year 2007, we would just like to take life one day at a time and trust the Lord as each new day comes.

May you all have a Happy New Year!

God bless your Journey!
Susan
To read others 2007 Meditations go to Laurel Wreath-you will be inspired!

6 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Great list! I have to tell you that my hubby and I had the same talk as you and your hubby January 2001. We closed on our house April 2001 and then found out we were pregnant 2 weeks later. I wish you the best in 2007 and may God bless you.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Precious list - I loved the part where you said you want to set the temperature gauge - also great to read how you started, stopped, then sat and talked to your husband, then based on scripture decided goals for the year - great example to all of us. xoox

Miriam Pauline said...

Blessings to you and your hubby as you wait on God's timing. May He fulfill all your dreams this year!

jenny said...

We got our first home in 2003 after waiting a long time, and waited and tried for 15 months before I became pregnant with our first child (way back in 1995). Waiting! it's not easy! But looking back, God's timing was the best plan. And believe me, when it's time, you can't stop god's plan. When I was pregnant, I was in a car wreck, adn they told me I'd probably lose the baby. I didn't! that child is God's and he needs him here, no matter the wreck. And the house? We looked for about a month, and the perfect house, perfect location, perfect floorplan---it was there waiting for us. The sellers even took our first offer.

I enjoyed all your meditations, and I hope you'll stop by and see mine, too. I maybe ought to add on some of yours to my list!

Janis Rodgers said...

"We know that if we stay committed to the Lord's plan for our lives then we will find satisfaction. So for the year 2007, we would just like to take life one day at a time and trust the Lord as each new day comes."

By coming together with him to create your goals, you took the first step in making your dreams come true! Your post so blessed me! I hope that your dreams come true in 2007! Happy New Year!

Chrystal said...

Wow, our plans for 2007 sound a lot alike! My husband and I are also wanting to buy a house, and I would love a baby... but that is where the whole "follow the Lord's timing seems to come in." My husband is not ready, so we've agreed to focus on the house. How gracious the Lord is to grant me patience and peace! He'll do the same for you no matter what situation you're in!
Chrystal
web.mac.com/ihm10