Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"A Shred Of Evidence"



I recently finished reading "A Shred of Evidence" by Kathy Herman. It was a Christian Suspense novel that dealt with the premise of gossip and how it affects us, especially when we draw conclusions on situations that we have overheard in passing and don't bother to get the facts straight. I became very convicted of the power of my words since the characters in this book were deeply devastated by what others were saying about them. It's a good read, I would recommend this to anyone.

In the last few days, through circumstances in my own life I have started to study the different verses in the bible that discuss GOSSIP. It's been convicting if anything else. I wrote down a few and kept them close to the telephone since that seems to be where I hurt people the most. I will share with you just one today:

"Without wood a fire goes out, without a gossip a quarrel dies down." Proverbs 26: 20

Since the majority of my reader's are women let me speak directly to you. Maybe you have had a conversation in recent days that went something like this:

"Did you hear about so and so? I can't believe that she is doing that? Why would anyone do such a thing? I just can't believe that they allow them to lead? Who do they think they are?"

Do you realize what happens once that conversation is finished? You have just transformed the other persons views. They may NEVER be able to look at the other person the same.

But words can also have the opposite affect. They can change a person's views from the negative to the positive. Your words could be the words that bring healing to the other person's life. We have all grown up hearing our parents say, "If you do not have anything nice to say than keep your mouth shut." I have come to realize that maybe Mama was right, maybe it is best for me to just keep my mouth shut. Keeping my mouth shut, keeps me from hurting others.

I know that there are some of you reading this that have been deeply hurt by what someone has said to you. Maybe my words have hurt you. And let me tell you, if I have been the one to cause you pain, then please know I am sorry. I did not mean to hurt you. I was reckless and not thinking before I let my tongue run ahead of my heart. I hope that after reading this post people will reevaluate the power of their words. I hope that people will get the facts from the source before they form an opinion. Do not settle for listening to others hear-say. Settle for listening to truth. And by all means, don' t be one of those people who will trust anyone or anything as hard core facts. Do the research first before you jump to any conclusions. And let's take it a step further, don't allow yourself to be apart of conversations where someone is putting down another person. It just isn't right.

One last verse before I close.

"A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret."

Proverbs 11:13

God Bless Your Journey!

2 comments:

Barb said...

It took me a while to figure out the one simple thing that really works for me. I try not so say anything about someone that I wouldn't say directly to them. I slip occasionally but I honestly try to remember how much it hurts to be talked about behind your back.

Words can really, really hurt someone. Words can also really encourage and lift someone up.

And you're right. It's just not right to be present when someone is being torn down by gossip. Just being present is like saying you approve.

Very well thought out post.

Lori said...

Early on in my marriage this is something the Lord really convicted me on. I slip up here and there, but I do try to be conscious in what comes out of my mouth. Now I am a pretty direct person, so I don't say something unless I know it is something I would not say to the persons' face.

Great reminder.