I am taking the rest of the week off from blog land. Most people wouldn't even mention they were taking time away they would just leave then leave us wondering if everything is okay in THE REAL WORLD. I tell you this because I would like you to pray with me.
My best friend's mom died Saturday. My best friend since I was in 1st grade, my best friend that's parents stood by me in good times and bad. My best friend who was in my wedding whose Dad offered me a job so that I wouldn't have to work at Chili's any more. My friends whose parents were my second parents. Whose home was a safe haven when mine was not. She wasn't sick-it was just her time to go.
My grandmother was reading the obituaries this morning, something I often do with her as a joke. We count the number of people we know. Yes, it's morbid but funny when you realize that Granny has not too many friends left. Then today, she was reading and she said, "I had to call your mother first just in case I was wrong." My mom than pulls up the obituaries online and sends me a link-without warning. I called my grandmother first. Granny said, "Are you okay?" I replied, "Yes I am. I am just in shock and I feel like I need to call Lauren." Granny said she would let me go so I could make my calls. But instead I have spent the rest of the day praying and praising. Gail's life was full. She did not have to suffer-she just died. She is now in Heaven, enjoying the party-she loves a good party. But honestly my heart aches more for her family, those that have yet to complete their journey. She will be a big void in that family.
This week is also the anniversary of my Uncle Miller's death. In fact the same day as the memorial would be the same day Miller died. 4 years ago, the first night Jeff and I were back from our honeymoon settling in as husband and wife-we received a call from Granny. It is always a sad time of year for our family. Another death without warning.
(Edited to add: I am about to run with my emotions so grab on to something tight!)
So you are about to think me totally nuts (I am. Your assessment is correct-but hang with me) I am planning my funeral this week. Yes I am 29 years old and feel it necessary to jot this stuff down on paper. After Miller's death-I have faced the reality that sometimes we just die, without warning and without good-bye. So I don't want to leave without jotting a few sweet notes on paper to Jeff and my family.
Here is what I know so far, this song you are now listening to will be played at my funeral -coupled with something that will get your feet tapping. I was thinking a gospel version of "I'll Fly Away" but then I remembered my favorite song of all time... "Getting Jiggy with It" by Will Smith. Because I can assure you, I will be getting jiggy with it in Heaven. I will be like the blind man who Jesus healed with the touch of his hands who quickly jumped up and danced a jig. (Don't go looking in your bible for "danced a jig" I added that myself. And I assure you, Metro Parents even though this is the lesson I taught in Sunday School this week, I did not mention the words: DANCED A JIG! Promise!) I invite everyone to my funeral, I don't care if I don't even know you-come anyway. Why? Because I am going to have someone preach the gospel to you. So if you don't know already I can guarantee you will know Jesus and the steps to salvation when you leave my funeral. Because that dear friends is the meaning of life: Jesus. Let's hear it for the "Altar Call!"
And for a not so relevant side note: If Jeff is not crying or showing any signs of missing me...then will someone please hit him upside the head and tell him "Your wife asked me to give you a message." But if he is crying like a baby- hug him and tell him I loved him with all my heart. And yes, it's okay to remarry but better do it with the lights on because ghosts come out at night. LOL!
(Whew! How I feel better! Seriously folks, I started this post crying like a baby and ended it laughing 'till my side hurt thinking of how much fun it will be if God allows me to be a ghost just one time after Jeff is remarried.)
All that being said, please pray for my friends and my family. And may we all remember to cherish every moment with our loved ones, even those who can sometime be a thorn in our flesh, if you know what I mean.
6 comments:
I will be praying for you and everyone concerned. God keep and hold you tight!
I have been lurking since the Blog Party. But I wanted to comment and offer my condolences. What a beautiful testament to your "second mother." I am so sorry for your's and your friend's loss. But I am so happy for you to obviously be very close to Jesus. I am so glad you have the knowledge that HE will get you through. I also LOVED your invitation for ANYONE who needs the Gospel to come to your funeral. I feel that same way. Blessings to you all.
(And though it may not feel like a lot right now, Happy Anniversary anyway. It's good to remember the good with the bad.)
You are a dork. A PRECIOUS dork, but a dork all the same. :) And I love you. How great is it to think of our loved ones getting jiggy with it with angels?!?! I'm praying for Lauren's family and for you as God brings peace and healing. Call if you need me... to laugh or to cry... or both. :)
I pray that God's peace will rest on you and your family during this time.
praying for you!
Several things to say - I loved seeing your heart right out there, and why we wait til we're old as the hills to plan a funeral. We all know we don't know - so good for you. I love hearing the gospel at a funeral because there are always those there who would not hear it otherwise, or have been ignoring it, and its the perfect time to remind them time is short. Last - I dont know who designed your template, you? If so, man alive! That it slides over the background not only fascinates me, it's impressive as heck! I'm sorry for your loss, truly, but sounds like she blessed you to pieces during her life. As well as many others.
Post a Comment