
I have been studying what it means to be a PROVERBS 31 woman before Mrs. Shultz's death, I thought often of her, while studying this passage.
You remember how it was when you were young-don't you? When you had that one best friend who you spent every weekend with day in and day out. I was lucky because I had two best friends who happened to live on the same street, Lauren and Lindsay. It didn't matter whose house I was officially staying with, we always ended up together, the three of us. Many nights were spent down in the Shultz basement dancing to hits like "Jailhouse Rock" and "Uptown Girl." We would laugh and carry on for hours and hours. The next day, we would wake up to the smells and sounds of a gourmet breakfast being cooked by Gail. As we walked in she would say, "Hello my little beauties!" And we would smile and say in that I just rolled out of bed voice, "Hellllooooo!" Years later, I asked her for many of her breakfast recipes-she made the best French Toast. I can't wait to cook the same from my children and their kids.
There was the time that we decided to TP (toilet paper) the Shultz house. Since we were only thirteen at the time, we had to beg our parents to drive us from place to place. I begged my mom to let us toilet paper Lauren's house one night when she was unable to stay with us. She of course gave in and in fact joined in the fun. We tried to stifle our giggles and teenage girl chatter, while simultaneously lofting the toilet paper into the trees. My mom decided the front door needed a little sprucing which is very brave of her since everyone knows you save the door for last, just in case you get caught. As my mom was tying her toilet paper bow to the house, the front door opens and out walks Gail. She and my mom shared a good laugh and I think they even went in to have a glass of tea. Now, that to me is hospitality: serving tea in the middle of the night while your yard is getting littered with toilet paper.
And then there were Lauren's birthday parties. Lauren had a middle of August birthday so we were never in school and it was always blazing hot. There was the party where all the mom's were called in advance but us girls did not have a clue. We were woken up the next morning by who else? Lauren and her mom Gail and the other girls that they had stopped to pick up along the way. We were told to get in the car because we were having a "Come As You Are Party." Can you imagine our shock and horror of not being able to primp before we were seen in public? I mean we were 13 and knew we just had to look cute to walk out to the mailbox. But the parties of all parties, were the ones at the lake house. All the boys and all the girls were invited for the entire grade, it was a private school so it was not that many kids. We would spend the day playing in the lake-while Gary and Gail would grill hot dogs and hamburgers for us. Later they would take us all to their house where pur parents came to pick us up. No one really wanted to leave because we all were having a blast.
There are many, many more stories I could tell like these because Gail's life was full of joy and her joy was contagious to those around her. She loved every child as if they were their own, she was a friend to everyone and did not judge you, she was genuine through and through.
What I love the most was Gail's fair well today. There was no casket since her body had been donated to help others live on and there was no awkward grave side service. But what we had was a mini-reunion topped off with brownie and all sorts of cookies and a gallons of lemonade. The church and recpetion hall was full of teachers, friends, family and community who at some points lives were touched by Gail Shultz. She leaves behind a beautiful leagacy.
I would like to share with you a special write up in today's Star Telegram. When the writer read her obituary he was so inspired that he wrote something more. Follow this link to read the rest of the story, http://www.dfw.com/240/story/37621.html
You remember how it was when you were young-don't you? When you had that one best friend who you spent every weekend with day in and day out. I was lucky because I had two best friends who happened to live on the same street, Lauren and Lindsay. It didn't matter whose house I was officially staying with, we always ended up together, the three of us. Many nights were spent down in the Shultz basement dancing to hits like "Jailhouse Rock" and "Uptown Girl." We would laugh and carry on for hours and hours. The next day, we would wake up to the smells and sounds of a gourmet breakfast being cooked by Gail. As we walked in she would say, "Hello my little beauties!" And we would smile and say in that I just rolled out of bed voice, "Hellllooooo!" Years later, I asked her for many of her breakfast recipes-she made the best French Toast. I can't wait to cook the same from my children and their kids.
There was the time that we decided to TP (toilet paper) the Shultz house. Since we were only thirteen at the time, we had to beg our parents to drive us from place to place. I begged my mom to let us toilet paper Lauren's house one night when she was unable to stay with us. She of course gave in and in fact joined in the fun. We tried to stifle our giggles and teenage girl chatter, while simultaneously lofting the toilet paper into the trees. My mom decided the front door needed a little sprucing which is very brave of her since everyone knows you save the door for last, just in case you get caught. As my mom was tying her toilet paper bow to the house, the front door opens and out walks Gail. She and my mom shared a good laugh and I think they even went in to have a glass of tea. Now, that to me is hospitality: serving tea in the middle of the night while your yard is getting littered with toilet paper.
And then there were Lauren's birthday parties. Lauren had a middle of August birthday so we were never in school and it was always blazing hot. There was the party where all the mom's were called in advance but us girls did not have a clue. We were woken up the next morning by who else? Lauren and her mom Gail and the other girls that they had stopped to pick up along the way. We were told to get in the car because we were having a "Come As You Are Party." Can you imagine our shock and horror of not being able to primp before we were seen in public? I mean we were 13 and knew we just had to look cute to walk out to the mailbox. But the parties of all parties, were the ones at the lake house. All the boys and all the girls were invited for the entire grade, it was a private school so it was not that many kids. We would spend the day playing in the lake-while Gary and Gail would grill hot dogs and hamburgers for us. Later they would take us all to their house where pur parents came to pick us up. No one really wanted to leave because we all were having a blast.
There are many, many more stories I could tell like these because Gail's life was full of joy and her joy was contagious to those around her. She loved every child as if they were their own, she was a friend to everyone and did not judge you, she was genuine through and through.
What I love the most was Gail's fair well today. There was no casket since her body had been donated to help others live on and there was no awkward grave side service. But what we had was a mini-reunion topped off with brownie and all sorts of cookies and a gallons of lemonade. The church and recpetion hall was full of teachers, friends, family and community who at some points lives were touched by Gail Shultz. She leaves behind a beautiful leagacy.
I would like to share with you a special write up in today's Star Telegram. When the writer read her obituary he was so inspired that he wrote something more. Follow this link to read the rest of the story, http://www.dfw.com/240/story/37621.html
What a blessing Gail was to me and I bet even to many of you reading this post today.
Please continue to pray for Gary (her husband) and three kids, Ryan, Taylor and Lauren as well as the in-laws and grandchildren that have a whole in their heart tonight.
Please continue to pray for Gary (her husband) and three kids, Ryan, Taylor and Lauren as well as the in-laws and grandchildren that have a whole in their heart tonight.
2 comments:
What a terrible loss... but what an incredible legacy this woman left. A true example for all of us. Thanks for sharing Susan. A few of my friends (that I grew up with) taught with Gail at West Hurst. ~ Kim
What wonderful memories you have of your friend's mother. I loved reading her beautiful write up. It sounds like she was a true treasure to many.
Post a Comment