Yesterday I started finding myself quoting 2 Corinthians 4:8-18 through out my day. Although until this morning did I realize that the words I was saying were part of the same passage.
I had a revolving door of thoughts yesterday-most of them scripture related. (Thank you Jesus)
"crushed but not abandoned."
"Light and momentary troubles..."
These two lines were my main thought stream. I love the way that scripture pops up at just the right time and it fits life's circumstances like a glove. I guess that is why I am a firm believer in memorizing scripture. Jeff and I really try to drive it home to the Sunday school children as well. Sometimes it sticks-other times it slides right through one ear and out the other. But I believe that God uses scripture to communicate with us so no matter if it sticks now or later-God will bring it back around. Just like this passage in 2 Corinthians 4:8-18.
Today I woke up early probably due to the fact that I was asleep by 9:30 p.m. My great grandmother went home to be with the Lord last night at 10. I did not realize this because I was sound asleep, my family tried to call but I did not hear the phone. You know what is funny, the same thing happened this time last week with Jayde-I went to bed early and did not hear Cousin Paige's phone call. I woke up both times feeling rested ready to start my day. The news was broken to me by my sweet husband this morning when he came in from work. He looked so frightened, I remember seeing that same look when he asked me to marry him. Hmmm. I didn't know what to do-I felt numb. This last two weeks has been filled with lots of news that starts with the sentence, "Susan, I have to tell you something." If another person comes to me with that grave sounding words, "I have to tell you something" I may just pack up and move. The island of LOST sounds very appealing to me right now.
Anyways, the point is "We are pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed...Therefore we do not lose heart. Through outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:8-18)
And right now, things are really, really hard. But I know that all of this is happening for a reason. I praise God today because this year Mom will be celebrating Easter at the foot of Jesus. That seems like the perfect place for her to dwell don't you think?
If LIFE is getting you down today-may you rest in this: God has a plan for you bigger than what you see today. God has a desire to commune with you, to love you, to guide you, to be your strength. Maybe all this is happening in your life so that God can reign in you fully and the only way to get you there is bring you to your knees. With the Easter just a few days away, don't let another day go by without Jesus making you new. God alone can save you. God alone can wipe away your pain, the pain that is hidden away in the dark places, the pain that maybe you can' t see but God can. God alone will fill you with strength and hope for tomorrow. One thing my great-grandmother had is hope. One thing that she rested fully in is that one day she would be able to sit at the foot of Jesus and hear the words, "Well done My Good And Faithful Servant." Don't let another minute go by without asking Jesus to come inside your heart, to take over the mess you have made and make it right again. God knows all that you have done, He knows the secrets you carry but He still loves you. He still is calling you to come to Him so He can carry your burden and wipe your slate completely clean. Won't you let Him?
God bless your journey-He has blessed mine.
Susan
P.S. To my "Mom" thank you for teaching me how to be a wife, mother, sister and friend-but most importantly thank you for teaching me about Jesus. I will cherish the many letters that you sent to me that started with the letters PTL. It wasn't until I was in college that I finally admitted to you that I did not know what PTL stood for and you said, "Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!" So now I continue to live out my life Praising the Lord. I will miss our Sunday afternoon chats but look forward to seeing you again in Heaven.
Thursday, April 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
so sorry for your family's loss Susan... I will be praying God's comfort for you all. ~ Kim
I'm so sorry about your ggrandmother, Susan, but excited for her as well. Your post brought tears to my eyes - the Lord really used you to speak volumes to me in a short space of time. Thanks you. Sure do love you and am so very proud of you!
kendra
Oh susan. I am so sorry, but so happy for MOM! Stacey's brother died Easter Sunday a few years back and although it was sad, we were filled with JOY for him. No more suffering! I am glad God have you peace last night, so that you can be strong for your family today! I love you!
I too am sorry for your loss, {{{big hug}}}
Sometimes it seems things tend to hit all at once. I have found myself saying, "Ok Lord, but could you spread this stuff out a bit!" Hang in there Susan!
Blessings.
I am so sorry for your loss today Susan. You are right, they are resting at the feet of Jesus, and what a beautiful way to spend an Easter Holiday! Thank you for sharing that scripture! Have a wonderful day. We will continue to Pray for you and your family!
I'm SO sorry for the mix-up! I'm so embarrassed. I am glad you have your Mom with you to hang out and keep you company in all these trials with your family....still, I know you miss your grandmmother very much.....and I'm sorry. Please forgive my silly assumption and just know that in everything your dealing with, the known and the unknown, I am praying for God's peace for you right now. You are obviously very close to Him. There may be not a whole lot else I can claim is obvious to me, but that is! Blessings. : )
I am sorry for your lost. I am sorry because i couldn't read whole post... God bless you and give you His comfort.
Post a Comment