

I don't know your process for how you pick out a book to read but I have a few guidelines that I like to use in order to determine if I will take the time to finish a book. First, it must grab me from page one. Second, I like to embrace the characters like they are old friends. Third, I try not to read books that are just plain dirty or not uplifting to my spirit. This book "The Jane Austen Book Club" did not fit into any of these three categories for me. The first chapter left me wondering what the heck I was thinking picking this up. The characters are not people that I would associate in real life, therefore I could not relate to their struggles. The second chapter after a very graphic moment, I threw the book across the room and said with determination, "Next Please!"

And then there is the "Confessions of a Shopaholic." I love this series. Last night, I read the second book, "Shopaholic Take Manhattan." I too love to shop so Rebbecca and I are close friends in that regard although I am way more frugal than she will ever be. Plus the situations she finds herself in are very comical. It is like a grown up Ameila Bedilia (my favorite childhood books). They are very entertaining books-you will get lost in it. And that is what I love about a good book, getting lost in the storyline so for a brief moment real life does not come at you all at once. I started reading Sophia Kinsella at my great-grandmothers request. One of the last conversations I had with her was laughing at the book, "The Undomestic Goddess." She was an avid reader like me up until the day she went into the nursing home-probably another reason her brain was so intact at the age of 97. These books have helped me to laugh and that was the main request I received from my great-grandmother the last time we spoke. She told me to remain joyful, to laugh at the days to come because she was going to a much better place. Thankfully these books have helped spur me on in the laughing department otherwise, I may find myself stuck in a rut. Thank you "MOM" for sending these books my way-they are well worth reading.
What I Am Reading Now

James Dobson is doing a broadcast series on his book "When God Doesn't Make Sense." They are rebroadcasting a lecture he did many years ago and it is so relevant to my life today. There are many things happening right now that I choose not to share with blog land. No need to worry-Jeff and I are doing very well. But in the recent weeks we find ourselves asking the questions"Where are you God?" and "Why didn't you stop it?" often times in our prayer time. So when I heard that Dr. Dobson was doing this series again, I pulled out my dusty copy from the top shelf and started to read and listen to his point of view once again. Folks, I believe that God uses many things to get our attention, to speak to us in ways that we can clearly understand His message. We might not understand the method but He will direct us to different lectures, a sermon series at church and a verse in the Bible to remind us that He is fully in control and sometimes we just need to keep going and trust He has a plan bigger than what are little eyes can see.
Sorry, I will quit preaching now. Have a great day! And go pick up a book to read
2 comments:
Preach on, sister! Thanks for sharing. Someday I'll have time to read a good book myself . . I like your guidelines, though. I can get so hooked on a storyline or a character. Take care, friend -
k
I read Jane Austen Book Club, spent the whole time shaking my head, and absolutely love that you just quit - life's too short to spend it on a book you don't love. You obviously are smarter than me!
Post a Comment