Tuesday, June 12, 2007

And So It Came To Pass One Day...

Chilihead is hosting this great meme about how your blog came to life. Here is my story-share yours and add your link at her place!


How did you start blogging?


One summer Jeff and I were visiting his Aunt and Uncle who were living in Washington D.C for a few years as his Uncle finished up his job that he is now retired from. Jeff and I both have always wanted to see the Nation's capital and couldn't wait to explore the different places. As we were walking into the Smithsonian, we ran into an Amish family. I have never seen an Amish family up close and personal but had read the Beverly Lewis series about a small Amish family and to say I was excited would be the understatement of the year.

We also saw the President fly into the White House in the Air One Helicopter the day after Hurricane Katrina. This of course was memorable to us because that night when we came back to the his aunt and uncle's apartment, all the news channels were criticizing the fact that the President didn't show a sense of urgency in getting down to New Orleans. I will leave my opinions out of the blog but I wasn't made at George for giving me great blog material and a great scrapbook page. It is almost like he knew I was in town! Anywho! These two events helped catapult me to blog land because who would want to keep this to themselves and wait until they got home to share. Sadly these posts no longer exist because the switch to beta-blogger destroyed all memory of them. Or was it the CIA?!?!



Did you intend to be a blog w/a following? If so, how did you go about it?

No. To be honest, I don't want a HUGE following. If the Lord makes it that way, well then so be it. You see, I am a southern girl and would feel obligated to respond back to each and everyone of my readers who happen to leave a comment. It's just something I think is necessary but I have a hard enough time doing this with the handful of people that comment now. So my policy is leave a comment or not but if you do I promise you I will try my hardest to get by your blog and say hello!

But you know what's funny? I have real life readers who will start conversations with me by saying "I read your blog this week." or "You need to update your blog." I secretly and humbly love this! It has helped spark great conversations and helped spur on some great conversations not to mention friendships.


What do you hope to achieve or accomplish with your blog? Have you been successful? If not, do you have a plan to achieve those goals?

My first blog ever was intended to keep the family back home in the loop on our international travels. Just a fun way to share our Road Trip Pictures. The second blog, Blessed Assurances, started in hopes to write daily devotionals. I had been writing for a few of my friends and family who were gullible enough to give me an email address. For two years, I filled their inbox daily with things God had laid on my heart. A year ago, I felt the Lord calling me to another form of media and felt like He was calling me to a time of renewal. Sadly the daily devotionals were something that had to be laid to rest. I can't explain it really but basically I feel like God wanted me to take a break so He could challenge me and grow me in other ways. When I stumbled upon all these fun memes and carnivals, old friends, family and making new friends I started using Blessed Assurances as a way to get to know and reconnect with people.



Has the focus of your blog changed since you started blogging? How?


See above. I also have had a renewal of Spirit in the last few weeks. I plan on going back to the roots a little more. I want to write the things that are now written down on sheets of paper. People are always telling me what an encouragement my little blog is to them and I would love to expand on that. My prayer is that people walk away from this blog knowing two things. One that I love Jesus. Second that I love life and all it has to offer, the good and the bad.


What do you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?
Don't say things about someone that you know in real life. They may hold these things against you because they believe what you said was untrue or unkind or they didn't want their stories mentioned via the blog. "Not everything in real life is blog worthy!" says Jeff.

Do you make money with your blog?
Heck no! But Jeff would love it if I did! He is always looking for ways that I can make more money so that one day he can live out his dream of being a "kept man."

Does your immediate or extended family know about your blog? If so, do they read it? If not, why?
Uh yes, we are a blog family too! Look to the right and you will see all the links to different family members I blog with. And by the way, the next cousin outing should be a hoot because we all have kept up with each other and got to know each other like never before. Or should I say we have "the dirt" on each of us!
What two pieces of advice would you give to a new blogger?

Don't get discouraged if you don't get as many comments as the next person. If you find a blog you like, comment on their blog and be consistent with this. They may or may not come check you out but you will get your name out there. If you don't want people trying to see your blog...don't comment and by all means get out of blogland all together. (just kidding-do what you want-it's your blog!) Some of my favorite reads and people I now consider friends have come from doing meme's and carnivals just like this. So if you would like to meet others in blog land than join in the fun.

Second be cautious of the pictures you post on your blog. People hear me say this in a kind and loving tone, predators are lurking even if you think they are not. Don't post pictures of the baby in it's birthday suit. I have recently read some scary articles where people are taking your pictures off the blog and using them for thier own pleasure if you know what I mean. This is not meant to put anyone down who chooses to post such pictures but I am not a good friend if I don't warn you. Oh and to my family, thank you for posting sweet pictures of the family. I take them off the site to save and print these for Granny since she will NEVER get on the internet although she has her own email address. GO FIGURE!

1 comment:

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Just read your last two posts. You and Jeff seem to have so much fun together. I am working on getting my hubby to be adventurous again. His mid-life crisis hit right in the midst of my nursing and coddling three toddlers under five! Now he's settling in Discovery-Channel Conossier Mode and I'm having my own adventure streak. What gives? Anyway, love your blog. Love hearing how it all started. I'm going over now to check on Kanyon. He's so cute!