I am going to get my mom to blog her version of the story since it really happened to her. But here it is from my point of view since she is resting in my bed as I type this. (Update to add: Click here for Mom's version of the story)
Last night Jeff and I were cooking out with his parents when we received a phone call from Mom with the sounds of rushing water in the background. Why was there rushing water in the background you say? Because she had a water leak-bigger than ole Faithful from the apartment upstairs. She called the apartment complex at 8:30 to report this, no reply from them came until 2 1/2 hours later! She called 911 and got more sympathy from the dispatcher than she did from our own apartment complex answering service. Finally when maintenance man strolls in at 10:15 pm he says "Oh your pipe broke from your hose on the washing machine." He turns it off-calls the carpet people and he leaves. It gets better.
During this time, Jeff and I are trying to figure out do we leave or do we stay? We had yet to eat and I was STARVING! All I wanted was to sit down and eat. Jeff was the "grill master" he said it would be finished soon so we can eat and get over there. We were in no rush b/c what could we have done at this point? Especially when we thought it was coming from upstairs and not my mom's washing machine. He kept having me call my mom to check the status. Come to find out she is getting no where with our apartment complex. We are getting upset for her but not really too upset...yet. Mom later calls, "The water is at your apartment now too!" She is on the verge of tears because she is just watching all of her stuff get ruined and with no assistance from the apartment complex. I kept telling Jeff that we needed to hurry because mom was really needing our help. Once Jeff heard how bad it really was, he got on the phone with apartment complex messaging service. Now for those of you who know Jeff, you will understand when I say he was fired up after this phone call with the not too bright answering service personnel. Jeff used to work for a law office and was half way through law school when he realized this was not for him. But he is very, very good at heated conversations from his time in law school and his many years working for this law office. Friends and family are always asking him to write a letter because his verbal litigation skills are fantastic! This is why I hate to get into an argument with him. He was all ready to write a few letters last night, let me tell you.
So to make a long, not too funny story shorter we got home at 10:30 pm the same time the carpet people came. They stayed until 2:30 am getting mom's apartment cleaned and cleaning our closet, bathroom and hallway. The carpet people were AMAZING! A real trooper. We all laughed and shuffled furniture here and there. They did not complain once and trust me it was horrible so they would not of hurt our feelings if they did. Mom is staying with us, Jeff went to his parents last night and today we are washing wet clothes and towels, drying out carpets, I am trying to work a little and we are trying to rest. There really isn't much more that we can do.
The good news is that our furniture is still in tact since we do not have renter's insurance! I know, I know it is one of those things Jeff has put off for oh say, 5 years now. But my mom does have renter's insurance and her furniture did not fare as well. We are working today on getting a list of the damages together to give to them in a few weeks. The bad news is her apartment will be "under construction" for 2 weeks. The good new is Jeff works nights so she can stay with me if she wants. The funny part to all of this...she has been telling me for weeks how she just wished she could move her big furniture and dust her whole apartment. She has also been saying how she would like for the apartment to give her new carpet and paint the walls. So Mom, if you ask you shall receive along with 100 gallon plus water wash down!
Stay tuned she will post pictures on her blog later!
3 comments:
Well, that's one heck of a way to get everything moved and dusted. Poor thing. What a mess. Bless those carpet people. Your mom may have been upset but it sounds like she was a LOT calmer than I would have been.
SO FUNNY! I can't wait to hear your mom's side! And see pictures of course!
Oh dear! I've got to go read mom's version now... (o: ~ Kim
Post a Comment