Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Good Routine Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

Let's face it we are all a little busy these days. I know I am not the only one running from morning until night. I have come to believe it is what us women do. We work and we work hard...while our husbands sit and watch football. LOL!

Lately I have been restructuring my daily routines. I tried the Fly Lady* thing, it worked for a little while. Actually it helped jump start my whole love for a good routine. But after awhile, I realized her routines are not really my routines. We at the Blessed Assurances house like to beat to our own drum. I have embraced this part about Jeff and I. I mean not every household has a husband who works nights and a stay at home housewife that works for the #1 Furniture Brand in the country (or that's what the company likes to tell us over and over) in her living room. It can get a little insane at times in my little living room.

But here's the thing. We have found a routine that works for us. I have read many, many books about order in the midst of chaos and I think I am close to getting it under control. And let me tell you, I know like every season in life this too shall pass, so for now this is what works for me.

Yes, I will share with you our weekly routine but only under the preface that you must find a routine that works for you and your family. How do you know a routine is working for you anyway?

1. When it becomes second nature
2. When your house can be straightened up in less than 15 minutes and scrubbed down in less than an hour
3. When you can leave the house on a certain day and time and your husband doesn't have to wonder where you are because he knows it is grocery day.
4. When the laundry pile is not overflowing and the clothes are put away.
5. Finally when the ring around the tub is a nice off white and not a dark brown ring.

These 5 things are a good guide to knowing you are doing a great job.

So here is how we at the Blessed Assurance house roll.

Monday-lazy days, spent catching up from the weekend and planning out the menu
Tuesday-Grocery Day
Wednesday-laundry day-wash, dry, fold and put away
Thursday-Me time, I get out of the house for Bible Study and afterwards treat myself to an hour at Barnes and Noble
Friday-errand day (Bank, Post Office, Cleaners, etc)
Saturday-clean the house, catch up on laundry, get ready for Sunday
*we try to have the house finished before noon and start the morning off with Jeff's infamous pancakes
Sunday-Church, Small Group and Charger Football

So there you have it. A basic weekly schedule that works for us. If you have any routines that work for you, I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to comment on what works for your family.

Next up: Menu Planning 101

*Flylady is a wonderful resource if you need help establishing a routine, she will take you step by step through the process in a loving, compassionate way. If you need help-try her out. I promise you and your house will be happy.

5 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Susan,

Just when I think I've established a routine that works for us, everything changes around here. LOL

Now Rob's working evenings. That's changed everything. It's weird, doing housework and cleaning at night instead of in the morning, but I try not to do all that when he's home. Very different. But I think we're getting used to this new schedule.

Who am I kidding! I don't have a schedule. I fly by the seat of my pants! LOL

Kathy said...

First of all thanks for stopping by with the encouragement today. One thing I love about the blogging world is the sense of community and that you are not alone in what you are going through. I am just impatient to make it to the other side.

I'm with Barb, we are a fly by the seat of your pants kind of family. I don't know if my kids are flexible by nurture or nature, but they are always willing to just go along for the ride. I do love your description of a working routine though, that is the type of calm I am striving for.

AJ said...

Everytime I visit, I learn a little more about you.

Loved this post!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

God challenged me to step out of the comfort zone OF my routine three years ago and I have learned so much as my pendulum swung WAY TOO FAR the other way! I love schedules, but I had to learn, like you said, not to be enslaved to them. But, boy, getting back to some measure of routine has been so hard, and I want to so bad! Come to think of it, though you warned not to compare to your own, I DO think I like yours a lot. Yours included pancakes on weekends. SIGH. :)

Lynnie said...

I am so proud - you are becoming more and more like your mom! I will drop off my laundry on Tuesday evenings. (Just kidding!) Good post! Thank you for sharing with us.