Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas Day 2007:Turkey Baking 101

It was my job to buy the Turkey this year. I told Mom and Sister, "Don't worry, I can handle it!"

I thought I was very smart buying a YOUNG turkey breast. Turns out the breast was not boneless and that is what we were shooting for. Boneless Breast are easier to cook.

Took the Turkey over early, left in the refridgeator at Sister's house.

How smart are we for getting it over early?

11:00 am the next day, we are all enjoying a bit of Christmas Cheer with the kids.

"Missy, is the Turkey in the oven?"

"NO."

Whoops better start that.

the blasted breast is frozen! FROZEN!

"What do we do?!? The turkey is frozen!" I say.

Missy says, "Don't worry we will eat later."

Good thinking sister, good thinking.

Missy goes and puts two inches of water in the roasting pan. I am thinking how smart of you, we can thaw it out while it is cooking. I really, honestly was quite proud of her for coming up with that.

Mom turns sees water in the pan, "NO! Take the water out of that pan!!!"

"Why?" we both ask.

Mom says "You don't put water in the pan while cooking."

Missy, "Are you sure we can't do it?"



Mom says, "Yes, see right here it says, "Do not put water in the pan!"

Folks it said it in big black letters, like this

DO NOT PUT WATER IN PAN.


Missy and I decided it was better if we both put the turkey in the oven because those breasts were heavy. The turkey actually turned out very well. We were very proud of our efforts.


Those two YOUNG turkey breasts were good eating.

Sorry, Missy I still think you had a great idea for cooking the turkey in water.

Thank God Mom was there to stop us or who knows how the turkey would have turned out this year.

Oh and funny side note. When we got called about Granny being in the hospital the first thing out of either my mom's or sisters mouth was, "God knew we were going to need more time to fix the turkey, He took care of us."

Perspective. That is what we had that day, we had perspective.

Granny said the reason she was in the hospital is because she was trying to get out of making the Chocolate Pie. She's a rascal that's for sure.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

it's stuff like the turkey story that will make yall laugh at every christmas from now on! :) fun memories!

It looks like you had a fun christmas.

on the previous post, faith looks SOOO serious when she's singing. how funny/cute!

Kimmy said...

oh that's funny... so glad it was yummy! ~ kim