Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Scared the UPS Guy!

First off, Melissa rocked the house last night on Nashville Star. She was the best hands down. She received a standing O from the judges and Jeff and Susan on the other side of the screen. If she doesn't win, I will never watch this show again. In fact, the only reason I am watching this show is because of her, I am not a Nashville Star follower. I guarantee you that I will be if Melissa gets her big break. Did you know that she tried out for AI and got booted in Hollywood? BOO! HISS! I almost gave up AI after that...I said ALMOST! So when she talks about this being the last chance for a big break, it all stems from the age rules that shows like AI enforce and the only reason that she was able to try out was because that was the year that they raised the age limit. That dear friends was the year Taylor Hicks won. Taylor Hicks, y'all!

So VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

Funny story, yesterday I scared the UPS guy.

How?

Let's just say I was looking a little rough yesterday. I couldn't find my new glasses, so I was wearing my old black ones that are bent in the middle and make my nose look three times bigger than normal. I had yesterdays make up smudged under the eye since I had yet to wash my face,at 2 in the afternoon, yes a perk to working at home. My hair, which wasn't combed was on the top of my head, in a bun all disheveled. When I heard the knock on the door and the guy calls out "UPS", I hadn't yet looked in the mirror to know what I looked like. I knew it wasn't the usual UPS girl because she would have knocked and yelled out "See you later!" while leaving the box at the front door. It's a system that works well for us (she being in a hurry to meet her daily quota and I am usually on the phone with a client) and I don't mind it in the least.

But yesterday, when I heard the knock, I threw all caution to the wind and opened the door...without looking at my appearance. UPS guy was fiddling with his electronic tracker when I opened the door.

UPS guy looks up and says, "Whoa!" and steps back a bit, like he is afraid. I kid you not-cross my heart and all the other words that go with it-I am not lying. He quickly handed me the package without meeting me in the eye and ran for his truck. Again-no lie.

Afterwards, I looked in the mirror and scared myself. And since Jeff is working days this week, I made a point to find out when he was getting off work so I could dress in time for him to get home. I explained to Jeff that the reason I need to know was because the love of his life just scared Mr. UPS and didn't want to do the same to him.

He thanked me later since he too has seen the rough side of me!

5 comments:

Pearson Family said...

I watched nashville star last night for the first time, and you are right, your friend ROCKED! WE liked her a lot. I laughed OUTLOUD when the 16 and 18 year old said they have been through more than the others!!!! HA! YOUTH!

HILARIOUS about the UPS guy. I bet he will drop and run if he gets your route again! Girl, we all have those days....

LlamaJ said...

I think I've scared my share of people, especially when David was first born. I think the sad part is that I probably didn't even realize it each time. See, you're doing okay because you at least 1) knew you scared them, and 2) knew why. :)

Tracy said...

Ha!! I can't believe he actually said "Whoa". That is so funny. I think we have all had moments like that. Every time I come out of the tanning bed, I am sweaty, BEAT RED, hair everywhere...very attractive. I hate walking out into the lobby to leave the tanning salon. They should let me go out the back door so I won't scare away potential customers.

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Your UPS story made me laugh here at the computer. Maybe because i can relate.

Kimmy said...

that's SO FUNNY! I do that to my kids sometimes... I know I'm looking rough when they are looking at me like they do not even know who I am in the morning... ha! ~ kim