Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Bend in the Road

Last night I chose to write a blog post that in the morning I quickly deleted. My heart was heavy last night and I vented to blog land. I try to avoid extreme posts like that because when reading someone else's writings, you are not able to perceive their tone or hear the emotion associated with the words. Sometimes words can unintentionally get blown out of proportion. Plus I have come to learn in the last two years, when the valleys come and I feel as yuck as I did last night, that I need to get on my knees before I say anything else. It helps me keep my head on straight.

Today I want to share with you a poem that I came across on a Focus on the Family broadcast last week.

The Bend in the Road
A poem of encouragement by Helen Steiner Rice

When we feel we have nothing left to give
And we are sure that the song has ended,
When our day seems over and the shadows fall
And the darkness of night has descended,
Where can we go to find the strength
To valiantly keep on trying?
Where can we find the hand that will dry
The tears that the heart is crying?

There's but one place to go and that is to God,
And, dropping all pretense and pride,
We can pour out our problems without restraint
And gain strength with Him at our side.
And together we stand at life's crossroads
And view what we think is the end,
But God has a much bigger vision,
And He tells us it's only a bend.

For the road goes on and is smoother,
And the pause in the song is a rest,
And the part that's unsung and unfinished
Is the sweetest and richest and best.
So rest and relax and grow stronger,
Let go and let God share your load.
Your work is not finished or ended,
You've just come to a bend in the road.

Isn't that a great poem?

Today I choose joy.
Today I choose to trust God and His plan for me.
Today I choose to live fully in the moment.

3 comments:

Lynnie said...

I needed that today - and I read it at a very low time. Often on Wednesdays, I feel my lowest because the devil wants to take my joy away. (Wednesday is Lemonade Ladies Evening.)

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't like my particular bend in the road right now but God's got me covered!

Melissa Taylor said...

I'm glad I got to read your post before you deleted it so that I knew you needed an extra prayer this morning. I did pray for you, and I do hope you ended up having a good day because I asked for that. You are in my thoughts often, and I wish that I could see you and give you the big hug I want to give you. Just know that I am hugging you through the blog, okay!

laura said...

What a beautiful image! Thank you for sharing it! Hope you're doing okay, will be praying for you!