I have a goal that I am working towards this summer. My goal is to loose 2 pounds a week by increasing my daily exercise and reevaluating the foods I consume.
When I told Jeff my goal, he quickly praised me for my efforts but then followed it up with a warning about how I should not be discouraged if the weight does not come off quickly. Instead he wanted me to focus on the benefits of exercise and a balanced diet and make it a lifestyle change not a crash diet.
You see, Jeff knows me pretty well. He has seen me crash and burn many times in the past two years when I have tried to get rid of the extra pounds infertility treatments has brought to me. Thank you Clomid for the 25 pound gift-you big jerk.
Usually after the first two weeks, if the scales are not heading south, I stop everything. I then get so mad at myself that I justify my feelings with a carton of Ben and Jerry's or greasy fries from Wing Stop. Both of which are super yummy!
On June 1st I started the Summer Workout Schedule of 2009 by signing up for three months at the local rec center. (Have you ever noticed that I title every season or big event in my life? Young Family Road trip, Positive Plus Sign Journey, The Great Escape of 2009, etc.) I refuse to quit during the time of June 1st to August 31st-that will give me 13 weeks to achieve the results I want.
For the past two weeks I have been faithful to workout Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I have been tracking my calorie intake as well. So far I have lost 4 pounds so yes, I have hit my goal of 2 pounds a week.
But last night something happened that I thought I should mention. I decided to try out a few of the fitness classes the rec center offers. As I was standing in front of the wall of mirrors, I started to evaluate my figure and let's just say I did not like what I saw. By the end of the class not only was I sweating profusely but I was feeling a little defeated. I had criticized myself to the point to where I was wondering what's the point with all the hard work? I was beating myself up and that was just plain stupid. Later when I was soaking my muscles in a hot bath, I took a few moments to reflect on what I saw in the mirror.
Here is what I came up with: it doesn't matter what I look like now, two weeks into my three month goal. What matters is that I am doing something to better myself today. Why would I allow myself to be berated by my own ugly thoughts when I was up off the couch, working out and loving every minute . (Any class that plays 2 Legit 2 Quit by MC Hammer or Baby Got Back is a class that I will come back to...in a heartbeat). I made a promise to myself that I will not allow the present image in the mirror to stop me from reaching my goals over the next few weeks. I promised myself that I would not become obsessed with my looks but focus instead on the beauty that God sees when He looks at me.
This summer I am doing the Beth Moore Bible Study on Esther and she has already reminded of this verse:
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3: 3-4
Today my goal is to slap this verse on my mirror so that I can see it every time I look at myself.
A sweet thing happened this morning that blessed me especially after last night's self inflicted berating of my figure. When Jeff came home from work he asked me how my workout went. Since I was still half asleep I only told him that it was good but now I am sore. He then put his hand on my waist and said, "I can tell your waist is getting firmer."
Those were the perfect words to start my day even with being super duper sore.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing your story Susan; it was just the encouragement I needed about my Bible study. See, I too have this "ideal" in my mind of what a Christian woman's study/reflection time should look like, and what I am currently is not it. And as I look at where I am right now compared to where I need to be for my and my family's spiritual health, I get overwhelmed and discouraged. But, you're right: doing something small today is better than doing nothing at all. So, this week, when you hit the gym, pray for me to hit the books or my knees and I'll do the reverse for you. Thank you friend!
Thanks so much for the encouraging story! I needed that! I feel overwhelmed when I think of how far I have to go to reach my weight loss goal and so really I never stick with anything for more than a week at a time. That is Satan talking to me and it was him talking to you last night at your workout!!! We are finishing up the Beth Moore Esther study on Wednesday nights at church and it has been such a blessing! She is such a great teacher!
You know how much I struggle with this concept - and especially today.
Thanks for the encouragement. You always have been and always will be my beautiful blue-eyed Susan. Live out loud - and share the journey!
Lemonade Lady
Very encouraging! You can do it!
Post a Comment