Tuesday, August 04, 2009

How 'Bout A Pitstop to 1982 on the Way to Shiner, TX?



During our mini road trip to Central Texas, Jeff and I made a side trip to Shiner, TX. Population- super small. We had two hours to kill before the next brewery tour and thought we would be good stewards of our time and grab a bite to eat. Unfortunately, Shiner is not a thriving metropolis for food so we had to drive a little longer than planned. I am sure we could have found something eatable at the local 1 pump gas station, but who really wants to eat 10 year old can of beanie weenies or rock hard chocolate mars bars while on vacation. Besides, I was planning on serving that for dinner the first night back home and didn't want to spoil Jeff's dinner.

Thankfully we found the mecca of small town food eateries, Pizza Inn. Not a Pizza Hut...Pizza INN. I could have sworn Pizza Inn was no longer in business, but I could be wrong.

When we walked into the diner I had a strange, out of body experience. I could have sworn that I had just stepped into the 80's. The decor, the games, the tables, the light fixtures, the carpeting on the floor, my fellow patrons all looked like something from the 80's. I wish I had my camera to show you this. Shoulder pads, teased hair and gobs of blue eye shadow were on almost every single lady in the restaurant. Brown wicker light fixtures hung on dusty old gold chains above the tables. The same red curtains with the gold diamond pattern were on all the windows. The red vinyl booths had seen better days but I guarantee it was the original fabric from back in the day. I don't tell you this to make fun, I just had to share how strange it was to be sitting in 2009 but all around me was 1982.

I kept waiting for Jeff to slap a few quarters on the table, and give me the same speech my dad said every time he gave us quarters, "This is all the quarters I have and all you will get so don't even think about asking for more. Now have fun and share with your brother."

Sadly, there were no quarters in Jeff's pockets. Probably because all he had on him was a debit card because you know it is 2009 after all.

This is me, before the tour have a little sample.



And this is us after the tour taking our standard Road Trip picture.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

FUN! "Operator, PLEEEEEEZE connect me... to 1982."