Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Thirteen Things to Replace My Television

During the month of August, I have decided to turn off the television because of a challenge from Nancy Leigh Demoss's ministry, Reviveourhearts.com

So today I have taken a moment to compile a list of thirteen things to keep me from turning on the television.


  1. Scrapbook-Avid scrapbookers always seem to be months behind so why not try to finish a few pages while I have a few minutes to spare.
  2. Read a good book-I love to read. The problem is, I have become used to watching t.v and reading a good book. Talk about multi-tasking.
  3. Blog-my television is off right now as I type-so when I get the urge to sit in front of the screen why not sit in front of my computer screen.
  4. Take a walk-Prime Time is always my time to sit down and unwind-why not take a walk instead. God knows it would be cooler during prime time than in the middle of the day-wouldn't it?
  5. Organize my closet- I could sub the time I would be sitting in front of the television doing nothing- by taking time to clean out my closet. Now wouldn't that be nice!
  6. Bake-I received Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook for Christmas and there are still so many recipes that I want to try! Since I have some free time now, why not?!
  7. Write a letter-when was the last time you received a letter via snail mail, just because. What a lost art letter writing has become! I am going to sit myself down and write a letter
  8. Finger Paint-Why can't I do this? Yes, it's true that most adults would not choose to get dirty but why do kids get to have all the fun?!
  9. Study! unfortunately I will have to start studying again at the end of August since I am working on getting my degree...Once again.
  10. Barnes and Noble-take a drive to the local B & N to flip through my favorite magazines
  11. Call my husband- He works nights and I can talk to him during his lunch hour which is during prime time. It's fun because it is almost like we are dating-talking over the phone about nothing important
  12. Listen to the radio- My new thing is Christian talk radio- oneplace.com is the best place to listen to your favorite minister's radio shows. Try Kay Arthur, Nancy Leigh Demoss, Elizabeth George, James Dobson, Family Life Today, Beth Moore to name a few
  13. Study my Bible-it is amazing the things God can show you when you turn the television off and listen to His voice

    Check out more Thursday Thirteens Here : http://thursdaythirteen.com




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should do this too, it's so hard to do though! August is a good time for me before the new shows come out, tee hee! I am behind on my Beth Moore study, I read a lot too & I got that baking book for Christmas too but haven't made much from it, so good idea.
Happy thursday.
I played too.

Pearson Family said...

I left a message for you on my blog, but you spelled Cagle Cagel. Hummmm. ANyway, way to go cousin Susan! I hope you get everything accomplished that you want to.

Anonymous said...

I could turn off the TV for a month but my family would protest.

Beck Boys said...

way to go. That would be a hard thing for us to do in the evenings. Good luck - keep us posted on how it goes.
Lyneil

Anonymous said...

My vice is the 'puter. I actually took the Internet out of the house for 6 months to try to break its hold on me to no avail.

I got a snail mail letter just today...and responded as well! Woo hoo!

Raggedy said...

I have not watched television now for about 5 years. I don't miss it at all...
Great list...

My TT is up