
"One response was given by the innkeeper when Mary and Joseph wanted to find a room where the Child could be born. The innkeeper was not hostile; he was not opposed to them, but his inn was crowded; his hands were full; his mind was preoccupied. This is the answer that millions are giving today. Like a Bethlehem innkeeper, they cannot find room for Christ. All the accommodations in their hearts are already taken up by other crowding interests. Their response is not atheism. It is not defiance. It is preoccupation and the feeling of being able to get on reasonably well without Christianity."~ Billy Graham ~
What does Christmas mean to you? Does it mean constant celebration? The Hustle and Bustle of Christmas shopping? Or does it mean quiet reflection for all that God has done for you in the past year?
Between setting up our Christmas tree, writing our Christmas letter, shopping for loved ones and watching my favorite holiday movies-I have forgotten something. I hate to admit that today was the first time in over a week that I set down to have a quiet time. I became too busy with preparing for Christmas that I pushed my quiet time to the back burner.
I don't want to become like the innkeeper and fill up my day with so many things that I forget to save room for Jesus. Instead I want Jesus to hold a place of honor in my house. I want for His birth to be our reason for celebration and focus on this more than the gifts under my tree, the look of the house or putting the letter in everyone's mailbox faster than a speeding bullet.
I am going to take time to read the scriptures. To meditate on all that God has done for us this year and to study up on Advent. By the way, my church growing up did not emphasize advent or if they did, I wasn't paying attention. (That is quite possible) So if anyone has any suggestions on a book that explains Advent in detail I would greatly appreciate your help. A children's book is really what I am looking for so that I can keep it simple in my head and read it to my children one day.
God bless!
Susan
For more "In Other Words" or to write your own and link it up with others see Laurel Wreath
5 comments:
Yes, His mercies are new every morning! It is a daily struggle. Thank you for sharing so openly.
I needed that gentle reminder! And when you find out more about Advent stuff, fill me in please. :) LOVE YOU!
It's so easy to let the hustle and bustle of the season get in the way of our relationship with Christ. It has done that to me as well from time to time.
Thank you for participating in this week's IOW.
I read this yesterday and blogger wouldn't let me leave a comment so I actually made a note to come back and try again today.
I love this. It's so easy to get so caught up in the holidays that we forget why we celebrate this holiday in the first place. I normally start every single day of my life sitting in my favorite chair with coffee and a book. Lately that book is the Bible.
I'm reading the Christmas story to start each and every day. It brings it all back down to earth for me.
One thing that has always really bothered me is that the innkeeper couldn't find room for Mary and Joseph. You'd think when he saw that she was nine months pregnant he'd have found something. I know it was intended that Jesus be born in very humble surroundings but looking at it from today's perspective, I can't imagine what it was like for her to give birth where she did after riding on a donkey for days and days. I can't seem to get that image out of my mind.
It reminds me constantly how easy things are for us today.
Anyway, rambling here but I wanted you to know how much I enjoyed your take on this week's quote.
Now let's see if blogger will publish this comment. I'm going to keep coming back until it does!
:-)
the furry of the holidays is so enveloping that stopping to change our course needs to be, as you shared, intentional
Post a Comment