Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Let Me Tell You About Kevin

Kevin is a "friend" from high school. To say he was retarded would not be the right terminology since he is really quite smart but you could describe him though as a "Rain Man"...yeah come to think of it "Rain Man" would be the right description for him.

I got to know Kevin during my junior year when I was a teacher's assistant. His class, the special ed class, always headed back to their room from lunch or some other activity about the time that I would be running an errand for my teacher. He would pass you in the hall, always walking a few feet behind the rest of the class and say "Hello, are you having a great day?" During this exchange he would rock from side to side and ring his hands together-but he always said the same thing, "Hello, are you having a great day?" During these exchanges, I would try to get him to say something more so I could get to know him better but it was always the same thing, "Hello are you having a great day?"

Recently I have seen Kevin working at the local Wal-Mart. I always see him talking to one person or another-"Hello are you having a great day?" Some people are nice and answer-others walk away rather quickly. I understand that he could be a little intimidating. This afternoon as I was grabbing my basket for my weekly shopping trip-I saw him sitting at the table in McDonald's. He got the biggest smile on his face and waved to me. I thought to myself, "Could he recognize my face after all of these years?" Of course, I smiled and waved back-he's my friend Kevin after all.

I started picking up my groceries. I had headed to the back aisle where they keep the milk. I turned around and there was Kevin. He almost scared me because he snuck up on me. He said, "Hello!"

"Hi Kevin how are you?" (It didn't even phase him that I knew his name.)

"Are you having a great day?"

"Yes Kevin-I am having a great day."

Thinking that was the end of our conversation I moved away from him. As I continued my grocery shopping, I noticed he was following me. I really wasn't scared because Kevin is not a stranger to me and I knew that he could not hurt me but my curiosity was peaked a little. I slowed down so he could get closer-and I am so glad that I did.

"I love Jesus" says Kevin.

"I love Jesus too" I replied.

"I wish more people loved Jesus."

"Yes, Kevin. I wish more people loved Jesus too."

"Yea-they probably would be happier if they did."

"Yes, Kevin they would. But keep spreading the message-you are doing a great job."

Kevin smiled then turned and walked away.

The rest of my hour shopping trip he was no where to be found. Maybe God used Kevin to remind me how simple telling others about Jesus really can be.

Here goes nothing...

"Hello, I love Jesus. Do you? Have a great day!"

1 comment:

laura said...

that is by far one of the best stories i have heard in a really long time. it amazes me how God allows us as humans to almost see his spirit in others around us! i know that kevin saw it in you my friend!