Thursday, December 07, 2006

My Favorite Christmas Memories

Christmas is my favorite time of year because it is a time full of tradition. For many years now, my job at my grandparent's house is to decorate their house for Christmas. This started when I was 5 years old and would often spend the day with Granny when school was out. My brother and I were in charge for many years. Then my brother reached the age where decorating Granny's tree was not his cup of tea. So from that point on it became Granny and my special project. Later when my younger cousin's were born we let them join in the fun but Granny always left the "delicate" ornaments in my care. Like our little Santa Tree topper who is very old and fragile.



After we decorate the tree, Granny calls me into the back room and places all the unwrapped presents on her bed for me to wrap. But fortunately for me, after Jeff and I married my grandfather (yes, my grandfather) decided that my younger cousins could take on that task since I now had my husbands gifts to wrap. (He is always looking out for Jeff) Also the first year I was married, Granny and Bonner sat me down and asked me if I would like to continue this tradition or officially pass on my decorating task to my older cousins. I quickly said, "No way!" I have vowed to do this every year until they die or until they decide not to put the up the Christmas tree. Although each year since I have been married I have found myself sitting and talking with my grandmother while the cousins do most of the work.

I have come to realize that this may be our last year to deck the halls. This makes me sad but I will cherish every moment and one day will pass on this tradition to one of my kids. But until then I will cherish every moment.




My grandparents used to own an antique store so my grandmother has collected many, many Santa's. Jeff built these shelves for Granny when we were dating. This way she would have a place to display all of her Santa's. On the bottom shelf, is Mr and Mrs Claus who sing and dance with each other. My grandfather buys her a singing Santa every year. Let's just say she has a few!


Here is half of the cousin's putting up the tree. My grandfather took the picture while I was trying to explain that he should wait until we were all looking. He is a very fly by the seat of his pants photographer.



My grandfather sits the whole time and tells us where everything needs to go. He says, "Ding-a-Ling (my nickname-seriously-that's my nickname!) I think it needs to go here or there. " I turn around and say, "Do you want to do it?"

Which he then replies, while holding up his hands in surrender, "No, No that's what I hire you for!"
Cousin Logan decided last year that he official job was to keep Bonner company. Those boys were so funny dictating to us where we should place each item. Oh the sweet memories made here!
For more great memories see: My Quiet Corner


















7 comments:

Shawna said...

This sounds like a great time, a time to be treasured. Your grandfather sounds so fun. Lovely decorations. I am glad you shared your memories with us.

Pamela said...

What bright cheerful Christmas memories! You just lifted my spirits so much! What a wonderful family tradition and a great way to spend cherished memories with your Grandparents. It has my wheels spinning as to whether or not I could do this with our Grand baby when he is older. Could I possibly have the patience because the rewards are so great, as you have so sweetly shown us! Thanks for sharing Ding-A-Ling! hehe! :)

laura said...

how in all the years of us being friends in high school did i miss the ding-a-ling info? that would have been priceless information to have had :) I am so glad that you are able to continue to do things like decorating the tree with your precious grandparents even after all these years! There are such benefits to living close to family! Enjoy them for me this Christmas!

on the Rock said...

At least Dingaling sounds Christmassy! You're grandparents are quite the characters! Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

Barb said...

You are so lucky to have the special times with your grandparents. This was so nice to read. And I thing Ding-a-Ling is an adorable nickname!

Donnetta said...

What very special memories you have of time spent with your grandparents!! Memories to treasure for always!

Thanks for participating and sharing such fond warm memories!

Anonymous said...

What fun, lovely memories! I hope I can carry on something like this when my grandchildren come along.