I need a hug, do you? Today has been a hectic one and from what I have heard from some of my friends today the same is true for them as well. So before I tell you MY story, take a moment wrap your arms around you and squeeze real tight. That is my virtual hug sent out via blogland to anyone and everyone who may need a hug. (Jodi, Becky and mi familia that means you!)97 years old is a long time to live ya'll. And my great grandmother (pictured here) is still ticking. She had a bit of a setback last night though. She fell out of her bed and was rushed to the hospital. She has a kidney infection and is dehydrated. But her BP is 120 over 50-that's good, real good for a 97 year old woman.
We shared a sweet moment today alone in her hospital room. I brought my Bible thinking she would want to read her favorite passage, John 17. I started to read, I couldn't make it through the first few verses without crying. I stopped looked at her and said, "Mom, this is hard for me. I don't ever read the Bible without crying." She too was crying and said, "I don't either and I just love hearing you read to me. Go on," she says. So I read John 17 and we both cried, unashamed by our tears.
When I finished we sat and discussed family members that we have been praying for in our family. I told her to quit worrying about them and trust God. Because of her example these people will be in Heaven with us one day. "I believe you are right, sweet child. I believe you are right."
Her deepest desire is to go home to the Lord. That is all she wants these days. I pray the Lord will take her home peacefully while she is sleeping. But I must admit that I will miss her when she leaves. Although it will only be for a little while since eternity will be extra sweet sharing it with Mom. But I am not putting her in the grave just yet; since I am not the one who decides when people should go. But I will enjoy the time I do have with her. The time I have to pray with her and to pray for our family and reading God's Word with her. I will cherish these moments and not wallow in my own self pity. But praise God for the 97 years she has had on this earth. Who knows she could live longer than all of us.
On a funnier side, she told the doctor tonight, "If I die I will sue you!"
The doctor said, "Good luck trying to get a someone to defend you from the grave. They don't have Yellow Book in Heaven I am afraid."
She replied back with her huge grin, "Well you lucked out there, didn't you?"
She is just too precious!
7 comments:
So sweet Susan. I will pray for Mom. And yes, hugs throughout blogland are needed this week.
Your grandmother is so sweet! I also agree that blogland hugs were needed for Wednesday. My day wasn't so hot either. I appreciate the virtual Susan hug!
... too precious ... spend as much time with her as you can... love, kim
I love how as we age, we seem to get sweeter, and wiser I hope :) She cracks me up with her conversation with the doctor... I'm sure he appreciated her just as much for reminding him that his patients are human, counting on him, but still have their sense of humor :) Maybe that's where you get your's :) Hope that you know that we're all sending that hug that we just got right back to you, know that you're loved and cared for!
What a touching post! Your grandmother sounds so lovely. I glad you have these sweet moments with her.
Sweet sweet grandparents! What a treasure! Thanks for the hugs and prayers too. Love you!
It's so sweet that you call your great-grandmother Mom.
And she may be 97 and anxious to meet the Lord, but judging by that conversation with the doctor, she's still got some feisty left in her! That just cracked me up.
So scary when someone her age falls. I know she's probably tired and ready to go to heaven but I do hope you get to keep her with you a while longer.
Post a Comment