Saturday, February 24, 2007

"Fireflies"



The FIRST time I heard this song, I thought about the days when I was young and I would lay under our big tree in the backyard and watch the clouds pass by in the sky. I would imagine that I would see flying bats, butterflies, bunnies hiding behind the clouds. Often times I would fall asleep to be later awoken by my brother throwing a stick or a ball or even a rock my way. But I allowed myself to dream-to use my imagination.




The SECOND time I heard this song, I made myself remember what it means to dream. Before the heartache, before the empty promises of young love-there was a little girl who dreamt of her prince charming sweeping her off her feet. I remembered the giddy feeling that comes from your first kiss or the first time that special someone held your hand in a dark movie theatre. These were special times because I was a little girl who had grown into a young woman and was learning what it meant to "be in love" the good and the bad. I just knew that one day my prince would come.



The THIRD time I heard this song, I thought of my nieces who are at the dreaming stage. They run and play and are fascinated with the world around them. They play "Princess" and "House" and dress themselves up in their various roles. They run outside and play and some days I will sit them down and point to the clouds. "Girls what do you see up there?" They will point out the bats, the butterflies and the bunnies hiding behind the clouds. They each love ladybugs and these little bugs are a treasure to find. We often have to stop and pick them up. And a real live butterfly is an extra special treat. It's in these moments that I realize that once again I have learned to dream. I have relearned what it means to "dream of fairy tales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails." And I am renewed by the freedom to dream my childhood dreams.


The FOURTH time I heard this song, I realized that this is the song that I want on my blog for this week. I want others to walk away from reading this with a renewal of their own childhood dreams
dreaming of fireflies and Peter Pan. So take a moment turn up the volume on the computer and enjoy the song.




"Fireflies"


Before you met me i was a fairy princess


I caught frogs and called them prince


And made myself a queen


Before you knew me i traveled 'round the world


I slept in castles and fell in love


Because i was taught to dream


I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top


To capture tinker bell


They were just fireflies to the untrained eye


But i could always tell




[chorus]



I believe in fairy tales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails


And i believe in peter pan and miracles



And anything i can to get by



And fireflies


Before i grew up i saw you on a cloud



I could bless myself in your name and pat you on your wings



Before i grew up i heard you whisper so loud


"life is hard, and so is love, child, believe in all these things"


I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top


To capture tinker bell


And they were just fireflies to the untrained eye


But i could always tell



[chorus]


Before you met me i was a fairy princess


I caught frogs and called them prince


And made myself a queen


Before you knew me i traveled 'round the world


And i slept in castles and fell in love


Because i was taught to dream

4 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

What am I doing wrong? No music! I'll check back later and see if it's working - I tried the volume, but nothing happening on this end. I do love Faith Hill..

Jodi said...

The first time I heard that song (on Oprah), I cried like a little baby, got in the car, went to Target, and bought the CD about 15 minutes later. It may be one of my faves of all time. :)

Susie said...

Great song! Just beautiful writing! I can remember playing with fireflies and putting them in jars, and just playing princess. Thanks for sharing this song. I haven't heard it in months. I also saw it on Oprah a while back.

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Due to ear infections, colds, and lack of time to get online, I finally got to check your blog tonight. Due to the senility of our computer, checking out all the music is an impossibility, but I always finish reading, encouraged and with something to think about. Hey, I put that Fireflies song on a cd of songs for the girls for Christmas. I just think it's so sweet and bridges that part of life between being the little princess and looking forward to all the sweetness of life and then loving your own as they go through the process all over again.