Sunday, March 25, 2007

Getting My Words Out...

Jeff is laying down for his Sunday afternoon nap, I took a small nap during the half time of Oregon and Florida game. I am now watching Georgetown and North Carolina. Therefore there is no time for a long extended nap today. (Jodi is saying, "That sacrilegious not to take a nap on Sunday!")

You all will be glad to know that I finally made it to my "Day O Beauty yesterday", Tina (TEE-NAH) was very happy to fit me in even though she was very, very busy. I felt sorry for her but she told me, "No you worry, I messed up your day yesterday!" She is the cutest little Vietnamese lady and we have some of the best conversations about her life in Vietnam. She says often that she is happy "to be American". I second that- yes mam I do.

Children's Church was an experience today. It left me a little unsettled. A single mother visited our church for the first time and brought her "autistic" child with her. I put autistic in parenthesis because that is my assessment of him. The mom describes her child as having "behavioral issues." But when you scream really loud, pull your hair and try to run away on the playground three times, it is more than "behavioral issues." I felt horrible because I had to ask that the mother to take him out of our class since the other kids were about to have a breakdown of their own. Our children's minister stepped in and saved the day from there. She kept him outside of the classroom where he continued to scream. Later when we went out on the playground, I offered to bring him into the class. I thought he may work better if he was able to run and play on his own. He ran all right-right past Jeff into the fence door that Jeff had just walked through. Instead of being able to push the kids on the swing and play chase with them, Jeff and I had to monitor the two entry's into the fenced in playground. The rest of time the little boy walked around the perimeter of the fence looking for a way to escape. I guess I will be brushing off some of my psychology books from college this week to get some insight on how to improve all of our environment if this boy continues to be in our class. I really, really hope this mother comes back because I know she needs a community around her. And she has left a burden on my heart today.


On to other things...

My great-grandmother is still in the hospital. They are talking about Hospice Care now. She is very, very sick and I just wish that God would just take her home. I know that sounds cruel to those of you who do not know all the circumstances but she is 97 years old, a strong believer and has no fear of dying. NO FEAR. Jeff and I saw her today-we prayed with her and she asked me to bring my hymnal so we can sing to her. I plan on going up tomorrow afternoon if I can get away from the office. I just want to love her in her final days. She was so cute today holding my hand and telling me the type of things all great-grandmothers say to their great grandchildren. It left me with warm fuzzies all over. I have been blessed to have her for as long as I have-I will cherish my memories until we meet again.

I guess I will end this post since the buzzer on my dryer is going off-and I love to fold a warm load of laundry. That's not a joke-this brings me great joy.

If you made it to the end of this very long post-thank you for sticking with me. You are sweet to be a faithful reader.

Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

Lori said...

I totally understand your feelings concerning your great grandmother. You want to see her pain free, freed from these humanly bonds.

I too love warm clothes =))

Kimmy said...

You're a faithful one my friend Susan... my heart goes out for that mom, too.

As for me and laundry - don't like to fold them warm or cold. (o:

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

I understand about your great-grand mother. I remember praying for a full year that God would take Mama Denton. She deserved a better situation (pain-free) and to be with her Father. We will pray for you and your mom...
As for the clothes, I won't do laundry if I am not home to take them out of the dryer warm...Love it!

Barb said...

My goodness, this isn't a long post. I'm the QUEEN of posts that go on forever. Everyone is probably thankful I'm posting less these days. LOL

I feel sorry for the mother of the child who's causing such problems in your class because it's pretty obvious she needs to get professional help for her child and is in denial. I hope she realizes, by seeing him around other children, this isn't just a behavioral issue but something obviously more serious.

And I do understand about your great grandmother. 97 years is a long, long time to live and if she's in pain, and not afraid to die, it would be better for her. It's very difficult to watch someone you love suffer. But if Hospice is becoming involved, I know from experience she will be in very caring hands.

You'll be in my prayers during this difficult time.