It's life changing to be walking with thousands and thousands of people who have been in some way touched by breast cancer. Last year, a father and his two daughters walked in front of us with a sign on their backs saying "In Honor of Mom and My Wife." They were holding hands-each had tears streaming down their face. The date "mom" died was just 2 months before The Race.This year once again, I am strapping on my running shoes and joining my mother and sister-in-law to walk in honor of those we love who have either won or lost the fight that effects more and more women each year.
I walk for my grandmother who died in 2000 after a long battle with breast cancer.
I walk for Rhessa who won her fight with breast cancer.
I walk for Missy's grandmother MeMe who also won the fight.
And this year I add a new person to walk for to my list.
Her name is Terri. She has done my hair since I was three years old. She is more than a hairdresser, she is a friend almost like a sister. For my wedding, she offered to do my mom and my hair for free. What better gift can you give to someone than making sure their hair is just right on the day we say I Do? She is a constant supporter to my every changing need "to change my hair up a bit." She knows the right color to bring out the color of my eyes and she has learned to camouflage my hair in such a way that my face look thinner than it really is.
In recent years, I have started each appointment by asking the same question, "So what's new with you?" And often times after she fills me in on the this and that's of her life I will say, "Keep me posted because I will be praying for you." The other day she sat me down in "Chair O Beauty" and first thing out of her mouth, "Susan, I need your prayers since you are the praying sort."
I sort of set up a little bit taller because something in her voice warned me that I needed to prepare myself. "Alright, tell me what I can pray for you."
"I found a lump in my breast and will have a biopsy next week."
"Oh Terri, I am so sorry!"
She then she went about her business of covering up the roots and I sat in the chair and did just what she asked. Prayed.
Lord, be with her.
This week my mom had her turn in the "Chair O Beauty" and came home to tell me that the lump is now called breast cancer. So I continue to pray. Each morning in the shower when I lather up my hair, I pray. Each morning when I comb my hair out to dry it, I pray. As I am driving through traffic and I blow that wispy piece that hangs in front of my face, I pray. And as I walk April 7, I will pray.
I am also raising money to help further the race for the cure. If you would like to donate then click the link here. Please know that your dollars will be greatly appreciated no matter what the amount. Let's join together to beat this nasty beast called "Breast Cancer."
2 comments:
Bless your sweet little heart. Thank you for walking in honor of my Mom!!! I told her the other day that I wish I was there to join you! I will be praying for Terri too... keep me posted. Love ya!
God bless you richly for doing this. i wish I could walk well enough to do it. huggles!
Post a Comment