Thursday, April 19, 2007

Following The Leader

When Jeff and I first got married we took a class called Crown Financial. This class changed our lives forever. During that class, we made a few financial goals for ourselves. They were the typical goals that most people make after completing this class-whether or not you stick with it another story.

Jeff and I came into our marriage both with heavy loads of debt. It was heartbreaking to see how much we owed and how little was able to go into our checking account for us to play with. Over the last four years we have worked very hard to get our debt paid off and behind us. Those of you who know Jeff, know that he is a very thoughtful purchaser. I am more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of gal. God really has a sense of humor when He picked two polar opposites to be "helpmates" to each other. Funny in a, "I'm going to get you" sort of way not "funny like watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond" sort of way.

But I share this with you to show you how God has changed us in the last four years. I have learned to keep my mouth shut and pray it out. I have walked away from conversations with Jeff telling him calmly, "Let me pray about this before I say something I may regret." Sometimes I come back with a new plan that we pray about together but most times I come back and tell him, "You lead-I will follow." And I genuinely want to do the Jeff way because I know that is God's will for us.

Ladies, let me tell you this has been no easy accomplishment for me. I have had to pray, ask my friends to pray for me and then pray some more for God to change me from the inside out. But I know that Jeff would never make a decision that would harm us and he would never make a decision without much prayer and without talking to some people he goes to for godly counsel. I have full confidence in my husband. Complete total confidence that his decisions will bless our household. This confidence is a true testament that pray works better than nagging, sweet friends.

So yesterday, when we got our lease renewal notice, I knew before we even talked about it what we were going to have to do. We signed another 6 month lease and I am fine with that. In fact, I am actually praising God this morning because we are able to slow down a little bit after our crazy roller coaster ride we have been on the last 3 months.

I am resting in the verse Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


And another verse that I am going to stick close to me is this,


"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth." Proverbs 27:1


So no more "planning the future" talks with me! We are just living day to day and when the Lord says "Go!" we will go-until then we are enjoying the moment one day at a time!



(Edited to add: I had to remove my dream house picture in order to get my links back to the side...frustrating but I like things to not be off on the blog. My writing covers "the off" title too many times!)

6 comments:

Barb said...

I like that little house, too, especially those big windows. It would be too funny if the owner of that house actually saw it on your blog.

Sounds like you two are doing a lot more than living day by day - you're working hard to get out of debt. That's step #1 to reaching all your future goals.

(My book went out in yesterday's mail - priority and insured - although it's going to be worth a LOT more after Paula signs it than it is now. :-)

Beck Boys said...

Those are good goals to live by. Great job on taking the time to get things in order before you race into another phase in your life. We take things one day at a time around here also. Who knows what the future holds? It is not us!

Lynnie said...

I think it's because you have such wonderful, loving, charming neighbors. This neighborhood is a happening place - what other neighborhood has people that loan clothes, fix coffee, put icing on cake, blah, blah, blah.....not to mention get you tickets to Paula Deen! I am proud that you and Jeff continue your steady plodding! Hang in there!

Kendra said...

You lead, I'll follow. I love that. Gotta remember that one. Thanks for blessing me -
kendra

Anonymous said...

Firstly, I found your blog through the spring reading thing. The house is wonderful, but you willing to aloud God to work through you to transform you each day more into the image of Christ is beautiful.

I will be back to visit.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Wonderful words of wisdom! I admire you for sticking to your goals and plans! that little house is so cute!