I am reading a book that has got me doing some soul searching about my relationship with God. I will tell you all about it in detail but first I am looking for others input. (Oh and I will tell you the name of the book later b/c I am sure many of you have read it and if you have I don't want you to be swayed by your answer-I want your gut answer.) So please (pretty please) indulge me for the next couple of days and leave your comments via the blog or email me if you do not have a blog but are a regular reader or don't want the world wide web seeing your input. (susangwen78atyahoo.com).
How do you view God?
Is God a loving, caring compassionate God or is God aloof, uncaring and a distant God?
Now please give your honest answer. And when I say HONEST, I mean the answer that you truly feel not the answer that you would give in church because you are too afraid to speak up because you don't want someone to laugh at you. I will not laugh and I will be proud to beat up anyone for you who does happen to laugh. Because after all this blog will be a safe place if I have to give each of my readers a black eye to make it so-I may not have any more readers but it will be safe come hell or high water. (sorry, I am pulling myself back in. Get it under control Susan!) The point is be honest.
I really need your help on this one so please be nice and comment for me.
7 comments:
I think anyone who has ever gone through one single difficult thing in her life and come out on the good side of it knows for sure that God is very hands-on. There's no way my God is distant and aloof. And that's my honest answer.
:-)
The little ladies in your previous post are adorable and great photo subjects!
For me I've always seen God as good and compassionate. My childhood was tough - but even at a young age I somehow had an understanding that He was in control and knew better than me.
I agree with barb (above) - during the difficult circumstances in my life when I've sought after Him - He's been faithful to comfort me with other people, protection or a loving life lesson.
~ Kim
Warm, caring, and compassionate without question.
I see him through the eyes of a parent. I love my children and want only the best for them. I instruct them in what is right, yet let them make their own decisions. I rejoice in their accomplishments and grieve their disappointments. Sometimes I carry the load for them, other times I stand aside and let them learn staying close should they need me. Sometimes I step in and change the direction they are heading because I know another path is better for them, sometimes I let them make mistakes that will have far reaching consequence. Always I love them.
I see him both ways. Even though I know God does not change, I change and my view of God grows in direct proportion to how much time I am spending with him and how much I am walking in obedience to him. I was not raised in a grace-filled atmosphere. Knowing all my failures and my struggles, I have come to believe that God is compassionate and caring for others but disappointed and aloof toward me. I love the scriptures that show me that God sees ME, hears ME, knows ME, loves ME. Knowing that he loved the world so much he sent his son to die for us is one thing. Knowing that he loved ME so much that he sent his son for ME is awe-inspiring. I am more intuned to his blessings and his heart today than I have ever been. The best part: He's not finished with me! Thank you, Jesus!
If I'm honest with myself it changes from day to day, depending on circumstances and my walk with him (which I know should totally not color my image of God because he is as he always has been and always will be). And even on days when he feels cold and aloof, he's the warm, tender, compassionate God for everyone else (just not me). But you caught me on a good day and today's honest answer is that he is a hands on, compassionate, loving God.
I see God as just. I have been blessed over and over again by Him and know that His Will is the best way. I have been in trials that didn't turn out as I would have liked for them to, but I know that there is a reason for everying. One of my favorite sayings right now is, "God will never take you where His strenght cannot hold you!" Love it. God is just. A righteous and loving Father that has a bit of a sense of humor from time to time!
Andrea McDonald
Loving, caring, and compassionate. I believe the times He has FELT distant have been because of my unwillingness to approach him with a thoroughly purged heart. I might repent in one area, while simultaneously avoiding another, ignoring it altogether. Or I haven't been hanging out with Him (in his Word or prayer), while wondering "Where did He go?" And a loving God sometimes loves in discipline. "The Lord chasteneth whom He loveth." (Can't remember the reference right off.
I'm catching up on your posts. I've been away for a while. :)
Post a Comment