Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Ahh, He Loves Me!!

I often find myself complaining about the things that Jeff doesn't do for me. I know it sounds selfish but isn't it easy to see the fault rather than the good?

Well this man don't bring me flowers anymore. Sometimes I think Barbara was prophesying over our marriage when she wrote this song. He used to send me flowers for no reason. Now he says flowers are a part of a "hallmark holiday" and he just doesn't believe in the hallmark holidays. He would rather do the practical loving things than buy flowers that will soon wilt and die.

Okay, whatever Jeff!

Lately my man though has been bringing home something so much better than flowers. Friends, he brings home fresh lemons to me. One of my favorite things in all the earth is to squeeze a lemon wedge in my water. It is seriously one of my all time favorite things about drinking water. A fresh lemon floating in my water brings me joy. Pure joy through and through y'all!

Why I did not notice him making sure I had fresh lemons on hand at all times is beyond me? Could it be I was too focused on the fact that precious one never sends me flowers?!?! Yes I think I may be on to something. It wasn't until I started focusing on the things he does do that I was able to truly enjoy the moment and this small but very thoughtful gesture.

And to top it off, let me tell you what he did the other night at a restaurant for me. He asked the waiter while I was in the bathroom to bring a few extra lemons. I arrived back to the table at the same time I heard this request and my heart skipped a beat. It felt like we were dating all over again.

Jeff asked me if lemons brought me joy?

I said "Yes, lemons bring me joy. But more than that it brings me joy that you recognize the fact that it brings me joy and keep me stocked up at home and in public."

And then the music started playing and we lived happily ever after with fresh lemon floating in our glasses of water!

5 comments:

Jen said...

That is so sweet! I also love lemons in my water!

I enjoy your blog!
Jen

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. So inspiring. Makes me realise that hubby does so much that goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Now, I'll be more cognitive.

Thank you!

Kimmy said...

It's the thoughtful little things that make ALL the difference in the world! Fun story... ~ Kim

Pearson Family said...

Love the story! How sweet of Jeff!

Barb said...

I've always thought a sign of true, mature love is when you do oddball things for each other that really matter to each other, rather than what the commercial world says you should do.

Honestly, I'd be ticked if Rob spent money on flowers. I have flowers growing in my yard. But when he brings me the newest book by my favorite author or even better, cooks dinner for me because he knows I'm tired, that's when I know the man truly loves me.

I've received lots of flowers in my time. From men who did in fact, NOT, love me. I'll take the thoughtfulness over the Hallmark any time.

You are blessed.