Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Guiding Principles #1-3

Sadly I have come to realize that I still require boundaries in my adult life. I work better, I eat better, I live better if I have rules and regulations set forth for my day. At camp we used to call the camp rules "GP's-Guiding Principles." Who knew that in my adult world I would still require a few GP's to live by.

I have been teased by Jeff over the recent months because of my new found love for a regimented schedule. I finally got tired of the taunting one day and asked him in a not so kind and gentle manner, "Don't you see a difference in our house and in my overall attitude when I am following these simple guidelines?!" And of course, his reply was a muttered, "Why yes, yes I do."

Now I am all for guidelines but I have also learned that we have to be flexible to allow ourselves to go as the Spirit moves us, so to speak. I am almost embarrassed to admit this next thing to you. Even though I love a good routine, I am horrible at keeping them. Horrible. I have way too much down time these days and the old saying "Give them an inch and they will take a mile" seems to apply to me and how I handle free time. I will run with it, if it means that I can goof off at my own pace-I run like the wind. Maybe that is why I am always working late into the night or feeling like I never have enough time in my day. Because I am not disciplined enough to use my time wisely.

But it is those days that I wake up early, workout, eat a nutritious breakfast work for a long period, blog for an hour a day, watch an hour of TV or no TV at all, read, cook a balanced meal, a load of laundry a day and so on and so forth. It is in these days that I go to bed happy and satisfied with all I have accomplished. And let me tell you, for a girl who struggles with depression this is a good feeling, no make that a great feeling.

So imagine my surprise when God started showing me scripture that matched up with my desire. Did you know that God can use scripture to transform us? (I am being funny here but seriously did you know this?!?!) The Word of God is an amazing tool for setting up GP'S.

And today's GPs comes from Ruth 2:7

"She went into the field and has worked steadily from morning till now, except for a short rest in the shelter."

Indulge me while I break it down for you, myself and anyone else who has read to this point on the blog without getting scared away.

1. She started work in the morning
2. She worked steadily
3. She only took one short break

Point # 1 shows me that she didn't sleep late-she rose early to start her day. This shows me that when I wake up earlier I tend to get more done in my day

Point #2-She was not idle throughout her day. She worked steadily.

Point #3- She only took one short break. Friends, I love break time. I take one every hour. Yes, that's right-work 45 minutes take 15 minutes off. But remember when I said the old saying above. Well my 15 minutes turns into 30 minutes than to an hour and sometimes more. So no more, my GP's for today are the three I listed from Ruth2:7

1) Wake up early
2) Work Steadily throughout my day
3) Only take a short break during my work hours-not 5 to 10, 30 minute breaks

By the way, this deep thinking is brought to you today by Nancy Leigh Demoss, God bless her! So you can catch her full series on Ruth by clicking the nice words that says click here!

And stay tuned, I will share my GPs as God shows them to me. Doesn't mean I will be perfect at them or have them down pat but atleast I am taking the first step. And didn't God send His Son to die on the cross so I didn't have to worry about perfection? Yes, I think He did!

Thank ya Jesus!

6 comments:

AJ said...

What a GREAT post. I thrive on routine - as do my kids! Just yesterday my good friend and I were laughing about how her "Monday Errand Day" was biblical.

God created order. And us to thrive in it.

Have a good one!

Kimmy said...

awesome... love that Nancy... ~ kim
hey I have something for you that NLD spoke on years ago at a Crusade Conf... you'll love it. I will copy it for you... ~ Kim

Wade said...

Hey Suz,

I love Ruth's story. It always impresses me just how hard she worked in the field when she could have just moped around feeling sorry for herself.

She gathered about 22 liters of grain (or almost one ephah as it's called in scripture). 22 liters of grain is a lot! That's enough to fill nearly 10 tubs of Blue Bell ice cream!

(It's kinda sad how I relate everything in life to Blue Bell ice cream, isn't it?)

It would have been easy for her to play the "Woe is me" card - but you're right, she worked herself into a better situation!

Thanks for sharing,

W

Girl Raised in the South said...

I absolutely love how honest you are - my favorite quality in a person. I imagine you've heard of Flylady, and her solution to keeping on schedule is a simple kitchen timer. I use mine all the time, and I'm right there with you taking breaks. Do a dreaded chore, then 15 minutes reward of reading on the deck with ice tea, etc. Maybe that will help keep you moving.

The Crenshaws said...

Susan! Gosh, I was just thinking about you the other day as I was reminiscing about good ole RHS. (Afterward, I concluded that RHS wasn't so good and I decided to skip my 10 yr.!)

I haven't talked to ya in a while, but it looks like all is well.

You're an excellent, expert Blogger!

Lynnie said...

And to think, your Mom is a certified family manager! I still believe in train up a child...I see fruits everyday from my precious ones.

When my children were preschoolers I moved during every commercial - maybe that's where you got it! LOL!

You could always make yourself a chart, complete with wonderful stickers for all your accomplishments.

Progress, not perfection! I am so proud of you!