It's no secret that I love order. I like everything to have it's place and a place for everything. If I don't have a place for everything I get rid of it.
I recently realized though that my need to have order comes from a direct result from the events that took place between 1994-2000, when my life was very hectic and very much out of my control. Someday I will share this with you but those years aren't really the subject of this post.
The point is, I am working on a few things in order to simplify my life. Oh and before I forget, let me give a shout out to Marcia, the author of "Simplify Your Life" and "Simplify Your Time." I started reading her book in Barnes and Noble every Friday night when Jeff and I would go there to catch up on our reading. Who knew that one day she would have lunch with my mom and attend the same church where my mom and brother work? In the meantime, she has blessed me with a copy of her books so that I can read in my own home at my own pace. And one day soon, if we can coordinate our calendars we plan to have coffee or something to get to know each other better.
But again, Marcia is not the reason for this post. I just felt like I couldn't tell you about my simplifying without telling you about the person who has inspired me to do so.
Topic #1
The Blog. Who here has been overtaken by the blog? I know I have. I created a gmail account separate from my personal account. I also signed up with a thing called Google reader. Google Reader is a lot like bloglines, where you can subscribe to certain sights and they will notify you when a new post has been added to that blog. Before I just stored all my favorite blogs in a favorites folder on the Internet and clicked through each one at random times throughout the day to see if anyone had posted something new. Talk about a joy kill when everyone but you is taking a break from blogland. Plus not to mention the time that was wasted clicking through every single blog of mine. So...Google Reader is a must have for me.
I signed up, picked out my all time favorites, like family and friends. Then picked out my blogs who I consider friends but never have met. Then I deleted the favorite blogs from my favorites so that I would break the habit of clicking through every blog. I click on Google reader once a day. At the same time, I look to see if anyone has left a comment on my blog at gmail, since now my blog comments go to my gmail account rather than my personal email. It takes a big ole helping of self-control but I know that once I break this habit my life will be so much more balanced.
And that after all is the key to a well rounded life is in my opinion, balance.
So friends if you are looking for a good book to get your life in order so that things can be simple than check out Marcia's book. It is a must read for new mothers especially. You will be glad you did!
If you have ways that you keep the blog from overtaking you I would love to hear them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Susan, are you implying that blogging is an addiction? I've only just begun-- should I stop while I still can?!
This was a great post for me to read...but even more exciting to read...NO WAY about your last post!!! CLOSE THE BLINDS PEOPLE!!!! I am laughing so hard...only you would stumble upon that Suz!
Great ideas! Thanks! I just caught up on your last several posts, and you always make me laugh. I can't believe your story about the couple in the hotel. And I can't believe you retold it on your blog. Oh, wait. Yes I can.
I love Marcia's books; I believe she has a new one out this fall, Simplify your Space.
I have that book - I picked it up at Women of Faith a couple of years ago. Yet, somehow have never found the time to get through it. After the crazinesss of these past few weeks, some work God is doing on me, and thanks to an upcoming camping trip with lots of leisure time have decided to bring it along. Prayerfully this will mark the beginning of change for the better.
Post a Comment