One of my favorite classes while attending ACU was the class by Willard Tate called "Life Learning Skills." It was a class that everyone took. You either wanted the easy A or you wanted to hear what all the fuss was about. Truth is, no matter what your reasons, you walked away from that class having a different perspective on life.
At the beginning of the class, he had us write a bunch of little facts on 3 x 5 cards. These facts would be our final. We were to learn them and learn them well. I kept them in a green plastic index card box, similar to a recipe box. When Jeff and I got married and we were merging our stuff, he looked inside this box and said, "Why do you still have these?" I couldn't really give him a good enough answer but I said something to the effect of "they are mine and they are staying." I should of been a lawyer with those arguing skills.
Last week I was in a cleaning frenzy. I have been selling my old books on Amazon so I was standing on a stool in my closet throwing books down from the top shelf that didn't make the cut. When I spied this little box sitting in the corner. I opened it up and started to read the cards. Thirty minutes passed, I was still dangling on this stool reading each and every one of them. There is over a 100 facts about life, leadership, happiness, etc, etc.
Each time I read these cards, I am inspired to be a better person. Maybe that is why I haven't thrown these cards away yet. They inspire me!
Here are a few for you and I promise to share more with you from time to time.
What is the difference between a winner and loser?
A winner thinks he deserves a little but owes a lot
A loser thinks he deserves a lot but owes a little
Three ways to overcome procrastination?
1. Write goals on 3x5 cards and take it with you.
2. Get a "to-do" list
3. Develop a new attitude toward failure.
What should you work harder on than anything else? Yourself
Where you IS, is where you IS.
How does the future come? One day at a time
Repetition is... the mother of mastery
How long should you use repetition? As long as it takes
What must you do in order to finish? Get started
P.S I am curious to know if any of you other fellow ACU'ers kept these cards or was I the only pack rat?
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Nope. Must have thrown them out. However, I did keep those nice comments others made about me during my little presentation and read them when I was feeling down. Those are now gone, too. I am amazed at the storage at your apartment! You keep listing things you have in closets!
Hate to admit I don't remember the cards . . but I remember other things about that class, and I specifically remember him singing to us. Good class! You are quite the pack rat!!! Hope the house hunt is going well! Looking forward to fun news and pictures soon? love you -
Wow. Love these. Especially "the future comes one day at a time." Great way to put it.
I love stuff like that... what a treasure for your kiddos some day... hold on to those... ~ Kim
Good Stuff! I look forward to hearing more of these. I use your line, "their mine and their staying" too.
Post a Comment