Monday, August 20, 2007

We Are Able To Laugh At Days to Come...

Jeff is having a colonoscopy Thursday, just in case you have been living under a rock and have not read the blog in awhile.



When Jeff is nervous he starts making jokes.



Needless to say, my sides have been hurting because I have been laughing a great deal the last few weeks.



It started when we were sitting in the waiting room the first doctor's visit.



The nurse at the check in desk was starring at us. I did not notice this because my nose was in a book. But I heard a chuckle from the "great beyond" looked up and saw her covering her mouth trying not laughing. I realized she was laughing at us, since we were the only people in the waiting room. Jeff had a pen pressed to his temple and his face was screwed up in a fashion that made you realize he was in deep, deep thought. The nurse begins to explain to me that she has never seen someone in such deep concentration like my husband is now.



Jeff says "I just don't want to forget any of my family history-we are sick people, you know."



I died laughing. Then proceeded to tell Jeff and the whole nursing staff about my first visit to the new OB/GYN. When the new form asked you to list your family's history I listed them under my own history. You can imagine the doctor's dismay and how worried she was that a 29 year old female could have all of these "issues." I realized my mistake after the exam and had to go back to fill out a new form. The doctor died laughing because she was happy to know that I was not about to die and in fact, was healthy as a horse.



So after Jeff finishes the form, they take him back to the examine room to get his vitals. His blood pressure was off the charts. The nurse says, "Your blood pressure is through the roof."
To which Jeff replied, "No S---, I am about to have a man sticking something up my a--hole." I died laughing because not only does Jeff get funny when he is nervous but apparently he also cusses like a sailor.



Jeff hadn't finished filling out all the paperwork so in between the weigh in, blood pressure and other vital signs Jeff would go back to filling out the form. The nurse says, "Sir put the pen down. We still have work to do." So he threw it down then turned to me and smiled timidly because I was there to witness him acting like a 3 year old. At this point, tears are forming in my eyes not because I was scared but because I was laughing so hard.



I have never had this much fun at the doctor's office.



Fast forward a bit.



The doctor tells the nurse to bring us into his office because he won't do an exam today but just wanted to get some information from Jeff. Jeff who at this point, was white as a ghost, sweating profusely and hands very, very clammy stood up and said, "Praise Jesus!" Now this is something that I say very often, Jeff has never spoken with this much passion. I learned this saying from one of my African American friends, I love this about her. She is always quick to "Praise Jesus" when something or someone blesses her. So when Jeff said this just like she does, I started to laugh. Because he was "Praising Jesus" because the manly doctor would not be "sticking his finger up his a-- that day" (to quote Jeff)




Now as we are sitting in the doctor's office who also has a great sense of humor, I could not contain myself. The two of them discussing Jeff's "issues" was just way too funny to me. I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Later as we were driving home Jeff turns to me and says, "Well did you enjoy yourself today?"

And I, still laughing said, "Oh yes. Yes I did!" Then I felt bad because I had just spent the last hour and a half laughing at my husband. He said "Don't worry your day will come and I can laugh at you."

I said, "Sounds like a plan to me."

Because really, what's the point in taking life too seriously. Our laughter is what has kept us from totally freaking out after all. And I am so thankful to have a husband that is able to laugh at the days to come as well.

Keep him in your prayers though because I know as the days get closer he will not be laughing as much. I am afraid that the white as a ghost, clammy hands will return. But we will take it one day at a time-walking by faith every step of the way.

Please forgive him Lord, for who knows what words may come flying out of his mouth this week.


6 comments:

Kendra said...

I will be praying . . .nothing worse than the anticipation of a upcoming not so fun event. I did have to laugh with you, though! Your hubby is pretty funny! Thanks for keeping us posted!

Jodi said...

Hee-hee! LOVE that Jeff!!! :) Hey, at least he gets to sleep through the whole ordeal! :) He can just pretend it never happened. Does he have to do all the prep work the day before? I have heard that is worse than the rest of it... I'll be praying for BOTH of you that day... :)

AJ said...

See. I am just like Jeff - nervous scaredy cat at the doctor. (Unless it's the OBGYN - then no worries....go figure THAT one out. You'd think I'd have issues with the, um, exam! Nope. Not at all!) However, I FEEL his pain. Literally. Hate new doctors and I hate the anticipation of the unknown.

One of my real best friends just had a colonoscopy done last month and she said the actual test was a *BREEZE* compared the prep! Her best advice was to not eat much starting 48 hours before hand. EEEK.

Kathy said...

I'm not sure who this will be harder on, you or Jeff! I will be praying for you both and for good results.
I just noticed something...down at the bottom of my screen is the little tab showing what programs I have open, yours says Blogger:Blessed A** Maybe that is a sign of something good!
I hope work slows down a bit for you so you have a chance to catch your breath and have some time to enjoy with your husband.

Barb said...

Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from sobbing, right? The form you filled out cracked me up.

My mother in law and I had exactly the same name. First, middle and last, exactly the same. And our doctors were in the same clinic. I'll never forget the day I was having a physical and the nurse simply couldn't get over how great I looked for a 74 year old woman with two knee replacements, and about ten previous big surgeries.

I was 44 at the time. And the clinic gave my doctor and nurse the wrong file. LOL

Of course they thought my mil looked just awful for a 44 year old woman. :-)

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Sure will be praying for you both. God is always faithful. Love, Robyn