Marriage has it's ups and downs, ins and outs, highs and lows.
It's just one of those things that we have to go through. Do you think we can blame all of this on Eve? Or do we blame Adam?
A few weeks ago, I was ready to throw in the towel. Not really, but you know how it is, you get so dad gum frustrated and the thing that seems most appealing is to walk away. This is the point where I tell Jeff, "I'll be back."
Those three words are my code to him that he better walk away or let me walk away and not follow. This works for us. Neither one of us want to say anything out of anger that we will have to take back after all is better. Truth is, we are both so stubborn that the best thing for us to do is to retreat and take a "time out."
In the ebb and flow that we call marriage, I have filled my prayer journal with requests to make our marriage stronger. And true to His word, God has put us through relational boot camp. But why does it always seem like I am the one that is having to change?
"Lord, I wanted you to work on HIM not ME!!!"
And I kid you not, I said those words one night when I was having a tantrum before the Lord....followed by what my friend and I have defined as a "Holy Spanking."
The spanking can come in three many forms: the Bible verse that pricks your heart, the sermon that grabs your prideful spirit and swings it out the door and the friend who was kind enough to say, "I don't think you acted right then" making your realize you need to admit you were wrong.
Anyway, I had a "Holy Spanking" a few weeks ago and decided then and there to FINALLY do it God's way.
Allow me to skip ahead at this point to where we are today. Jeff and I have found a common ground. Jeff and I both are growing. Jeff is leading our family and communicating in ways that I never thought possible. I didn't realize that what needed to happen was for me to step out of the way a bit for God to transform my man.
And the Lord has blessed us. The Lord has provided us with a church family that is willing to go the extra mile with us as we learn what it means to be committed to each other.
So as my mama said the other night, "You just need to be committed to your marriage no matter what."
Committed to the Lord.
Committed to my husband.
Committed to the marriage.
Monday, September 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Suz, I am close again! We are back in Euless! We should totally be friends again. Russell's games are in Flowermound, this time not Irving, but you are more than welcome to come with me! I forgot we were so close over here! YAY!
Let me just tell you that marriage never gets easy. It is a constant battle. The funny thing about the person you love more than anything is that they can hurt you more than anyone else ever has and visa versa. I enjoy my marriage so much, but it has not always been what you dream of, you know. I am glad that you have the spirit of committment and dedication. It is way to easy to give up - take the hard road, it is worth it even if there are bumps along the way!
I am glad you had a friend bold enough to speak the truth in love. Here's to being committed!
Amen to what melissa taylor said. marriage is harder than i ever imagined...but it's worth it. :)
Post a Comment