Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Shop-A-Thon=Mother Load of Good Stuff

The other night after Bible Study, I went to the Garden Ridge Shop-A-Thon. I went the first night, it really wasn't that busy or picked over yet. I thoroughly enjoyed walking the aisles and looking at all the new stuff. Christmas decor was the last aisle I walked down and let's just say I hit the mother load of ornaments.

Do you know how much fun this was for me? No husband telling me to get a move on and no need to rush because they were staying open until Sunday night at midnight?!? I am so blessed. Really, I am blessed.

:)

For the last two years, I have done a new theme on our small 4 ft tree that we display in our apartment. I got this idea from my friend Dr. Sam. You may remember last Christmas I showed you his different trees and themes for each room. He has 17 1/2 different trees. My idea is to have all different type themes for different rooms just like him one day...when we buy a house of course.

Last Christmas, I displayed all of our ornaments from the numerous road trips for the "Makin' A Memory" tree. We started doing this the first year we were married and in the last 4 1/2 years have collected lots of fun ornaments from all over the USA. I think this tree will be the perfect "Family Room" tree.

At the end of Christmas last year, I started working on this year's themed tree, the kitchen. You must remember before I tell you this I was planning on being in a house by Christmas this year. And well, as I have learned, it is better not to plan that far in advance... sometimes God has other plans that aren't our own.

Anywho...

The kitchen tree idea came from a friend passing on a string of "apple garland" to my mom last year. You know someone Else's junk becomes anothers treasure. Well this garland is precious! A little bit more country than I like but cute nonetheless, not to mention free. And well, if it's free it's for me! So over the last year, anytime my mom and I would go shopping we kept our eyes out for "kitchen tree ornaments." You can imagine how hard this was since most places don't carry Christmas ornaments year round.

I found only three things: Santa in a chef hat mixing up a batch of goodies, a tiny little mixer and a mash potato masher.

But at the Garden Ridge Shop A Thon, I hit the mother load of "Kitchen Tree Ornaments." Garden Ridge is my BFF!

I scored big time!




If you click on the picture you can see the tiny mixer and mash potato masher thrown in too. Sadly the apple garland and Santa Chef are locked away in the storage unit down the street. I promise that when I un-box the Christmas stuff I will snap a photo so you can see.

Could Christmas get here any sooner? I can't wait to display all of this stuff.

I may even put it up early this year for good measure...or because I just can't wait to see what it all will look like put together.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

"if it's free it's for me!" too funny. I would adopt that as my motto also, but I am desperately trying to de-clutter. Maybe one thing in, two things donated to bless another? That might work.

Those ornaments are too cute. I like the idea of themes for each room.

laura said...

Looks like you're going to have so much fun decorating this year. I was going to say that if after your original ornaments you still have some wholes to fill, Christmas cookie cutters always make fun ornaments in the Bull house. You can go silver, copper, different colored plastics, and choose your own fun Christmas ribbon to tie them to the tree. So just food for thought :) Maybe this year I'll get to see that tree while we're home... now wouldn't that be fun?

Pearson Family said...

My dad bought me a frying pan ornament and whisk from Williams Sonoma about 9 years ago. They are tarnished now, I should polish them this year, but I still smile every time I pull them out of the box!

daughteroftheking said...

Where is the love? How about calling your favorite sister in love to go to a shop a thon!!! That is right up my ally! So glad you found the cute ornaments we can't wait to see the tree.
love you,
Missy