Now, I am only writing this because one dear friend recently mentioned to me that she would love a step by step version of my menu plan. And since I am a people pleaser, here it is.
When I started out, I found the whole process very daunting. So today I will only write what I consider to be Phase One.
1. Pick a Day that Works for You and Your Family
2 Write down 7 meals that work are your family favorite recipes.
3. Get a magnetic notepad to stick to your refrigerator for the household to write down things needed.
4. Make your grocery list by the way the grocery store has the section layed out.
5. Clean Out the Fridge Before You Go.
1. Pick a day that works for you and your family to do your weekly grocery shopping.
What works for me may not work for you and your family but I do my grocery shopping on Tuesday mornings. Two reasons, it is the slowest day and the shelves have been restocked from the weekend rush. Whatever day works for you and your household-stick to that day as best you can. Also, try to get out of the habit of running to the store every time you need to cook. The reason menu planning is helpful is because it should decrease the amount of running back and forth to the grocery store. It also helps you save on the bottom line.
2. Gather your favorite family recipes (enlist their help if you need it) and come up with at least 7 meals.
I usually do not cook 7 meals a week but I do write down seven dinner ideas so that I have "an in case of emergency" meal just in case something comes up with work the next week and I am unable to grocery shop on Tuesday. Gather up the recipes and write down all the ingredients that you will need for that week. Make sure you check the pantry before you put it on the list. At one point I had 15 cans of Red Beans because one recipe called for it and every week I would purchase a can or two thinking I did not have it on hand. (Red Beans and Rice is Jeff's favorite food and my least favorite. Bleck!)
This is also a good time to look at the weekly calendar. If you have lots of late night activities happening then pull out the crock pot recipes. If you have pot luck at church or holiday gatherings, get your list for that too. I got all my holiday food ingredients last year before the holidays and boy did it make like easier.
Only focus on the 7 meals for now, you can add to it but I won't discuss that until Phase Two. Seriously folks, I was so stressed the first time I tried to do this so I am trying not to overwhelm you.
3. Get a magnetic notepad and stick it to the front of the fridge.
I use my notepad so often through out the week that Jeff knows not to take it off the fridge. I write down any and everything we may need. I ran out of Paprika the other day and I threw the empty bottle away then wrote Paprika on my list. No, I don't typically use Paprika all that much but I want to make sure I have it ready for the next time that I do. Jeff is known to put toilet paper on the list when we start to run low.
4. Make a list based on how the grocery store is laid out.
Sarah at In the Midst of It posted a template that she uses a few weeks ago for her menu planning. I made my own at the first of the year in Excel because I am an Excel nerd and get great satisfaction from things like this. If you would like my version, email me at blessedassurances@gmail.com and I will send it to you. I divided mine up into sections based on the layout of my local Wal-Mart. (Deli/Produce, Can Goods*, Frozen Food, Household, Dairy, Meat) Did you know that I have cut back my grocery shopping by at least 20 minutes by writing my list in categories? It really doesn't take that much longer if you already have the grocery lists pre-printed and ready to write down.
*Can Goods is all the little aisles in the center of the store which also includes baking stuff.
5. Clean out the fridge before you go.
A FLYLADY trick that I have actually kept. Usually the fridge is almost empty so this is a good time to quickly wipe down the shelves and throw out the little science projects. Trust me, it will help you when you come home to put away your groceries too.
The reason I do menu planning is because it simplifies my life and helps me limit the running around like a chicken with his head cutoff. I see this as a work in progress, therefore, I don't beat myself up for not having it done just right but I do want my home to be a peaceful atmosphere. And menu planning is one way to help me do this.
Now please don't stress out about this. Try it for a week and let me know if it works for you.
Next week we will move on to Phase Two-The Actual Plan.
2 comments:
allrecipes.com has some really cool features, if you choose one of their recipes you can click a button and it will create an ingredient list you can use as your grocery list. Also, they do have a shopping list feature that is broken into catagories - frozen foods, bread/cereal, etc. For someone (like me) just starting to think of trying this (again) it is a good place to start because they have already done the hard work.
I do this, Sid got me doing it. She plans it out on paper and it was always sitting in the same place. When we would go to visit, I would check the list to see what we were having. I look at my calendar and only plan for 3 meals: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday. We eat at church on Wednesdays. I have also found that I save money! This week I used the Kraft foods magazine for all my recipes. Last night was chicken stirfry, tonight is a mexican chicken in crockpot, and Thursday is short ribs in crockpot. This is my first week to do 2 crockpot dinners, but with preschool on Tuesdays and Thursday, I thought I would try it. I need to post some more recipes on Whatcha Got Cookin!
Post a Comment