Monday, October 01, 2007

Silence is Golden


The summer Jeff and I visited our nation's capital we went to Arlington National Cemetery to see John F Kennedy's grave site. This sign grabbed me. I liked the fact that everyone who came to visit the site was silent as they passed by. Children who usually were running and laughing stood in silence as they watched the flame flicker on top of the tomb. I wonder why we aren't silent more. Why do we feel like we have to constantly have noise around us?

Last night, my friend lost her sweet Granddaddy. Jeff and I said a prayer last night for her and her family when we heard the news. Our hearts are still a bit raw from the loss of my great-grandmother last spring. So although we rejoice that she is in Heaven we still miss her sweet presence here on earth. I praise God for Grandaddy Leon's legacy he left behind too. I pray for her family who now mourns their loss.

This weekend was also amazing for me. I was able to attend a "Revive Our Hearts Conference" with some sweet friends from church. If you do not know about Nancy Leigh Demoss or normally don't listen to her radio show then you are missing out on some good, solid biblical truth. (Click on the Revive Our Hearts button to the left for her website)
My life is forever changed.

At the beginning of the conference she encouraged us to take a media break until the conference is finished. I continue to feel God is calling me to continue my "fast" from media. Especially this blog which has become too much a part of my life. I need to find my balance, friends. I am distracted by this and will read blogs before I read the Bible. I realize balance is a work in progress. And it will be something that everyday will be a struggle. But I don't want to miss out on the Lord speaking to me. And if the blog is keeping me from hearing His voice than I need to lay low a few days.

So with that, I start my blog fast.

I will be lurking but may not be commenting.

My goal for myself is to keep in touch with my real life friends and family beyond the blog. I want to be intentional about spending time with them in the real world and not just via the blog. But I will be back to blogland too.

I just need to take a moment to sit at the feet of Jesus. My first love.

5 comments:

Susie said...

Good call! May you come back refreshed, and full of God's peace and wisdom. Enjoy!

Beck Boys said...

Some things are just more important that others. Good call. Enjoy that time.

Jodi said...

Sweet friend... thank you for your love and friendship to me, especially through this journey. As far as my Granddaddy was concerned, a friend of mine was a friend of his. So thank you for being his friend. :) LOVE you!

Kimmy said...

I'm with you, friend... my head is still reeling from this weekend... it's good. ~kim

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

Good challenge...Hope that it is refreshing for you!