My home away from home is moving locations. Today was the last day for my local library to be open. Have I told you how much I love this place?
I love this building because before it was the local library it was my church home. I learned to walk in these halls. I went to pre-school here where I met some sweet friends, some I still am in close contact. I wrote my senior thesis paper at one of the tables in the middle. Every other week, I visit my local library to get more books to read.
I love to read.
I love the library.
I know I am going to love the new library but the new location is not less than a mile away. The new location doesn't have the history and the new location isn't my home away from home. Yet...
My friendly librarian encouraged me last week to check out as many books as I wanted. She said they weren't due back until the new library was open...6 weeks from now. You would have thought I won the local lottery. "Are you serious?" She was... she is a librarian after all.
When I walked in the door with all my books, Jeff thought I had lost my mind.
You going to read all those books in two weeks?
No sweets, I am going to read them in 6 weeks. It is my gift from one book lover to another.
And then I explained that they were closing down and moving to the new place. Do you know what he said, "Don't loose it, we don't want to have a fine."
Oh ye of little faith! I usually have to track down his books not mine. And he only does one at a time, not two.
For those of you curious to see what I will be reading, here is my list of books to read.
5 comments:
do you know what they are doing with the old building?
I heart the library! I've been taking sweet E there since she was a tiny baby for the story time...and we always leave with armloads of books and DVD's - for baby, mommy and daddy! We are lucky, our library is about 2 minutes from our house - they have remodeled it, but not moved it...I would cry if it moved! Such sweet memories you have!
I didn't know about this! How many memories I have in that building when it was our church!!!
I can never walk in that building without thinking about all the sermons Jon Jones preached in that auditorium!
I have clear memories as a little kid laying my back across my parents laps during church and watching the reflections off of the communion trays dance around on the ceiling.
I hope they put the building to good use! I would hate to see it sit empty!
can't wait to read your reviews... I love to read - especially a really good book that someone says "you've got to read this!" ~ kim
oh wade, I did the same thing when I was young. the lights from the communion trays were so pretty on the ceiling. my favorite was trying to get through the halls though when we had outgrown the building.
julie, i am not sure what the plan is. maybe to make city offices. they may be waiting until the highway construction is finished but it will be sad for a while to see it empty.
Post a Comment