Saturday, March 08, 2008

Going Back to Where It All Started

Last night Jeff and I went out to dinner. I thought we were going to my favorite pizza joint but he had other plans.

When he turned in the wrong direction of the original location, I asked in a not so friendly tone, "Where are you going?" I don't know why I just don't go with it because 9 times out of 10 he is about to do something sweet.

Jeff says, "We are going back to the place it all started."

Knowing this route very well, after having worked there for 8 years, I smile and say, "You're sweet!" He smiled because he knew he was doing something good.

Friends, if you don't know already where it all started was at Chili's. I was waiting tables-he was a brother to one of my managers.

Sitting in that restaurant last night was very surreal for me. We were sitting at the same table (by accident of course) where I told my friend Scarecrow that I think I met the one. Since Scarecrow has known me since I was 8 years old and had heard those very same words many, many times from a few of the other boys I dated he probably wanted to laugh. But Scarecrow being the good friend that he has been to me for many years, started to quiz me about Jeff's character, job and his intentions. I told him about his character and his job but I didn't know what to say about Jeff's intentions. We were just having a good time getting to know each other. I am happy to report that I got the thumbs up from good ole Scarecrow. And I am happy to report that my conversation with him gave me the courage to talk to Jeff about where this relationship was heading.

I am sure you can guess the outcome of the story since we are celebrating 5 years of marriage today.

Last night was also a huge blessing for me to look back and see God was moving when I just knew that He had forgotten about me. I hated being home after being at college with all my friends. I was not happy with me and I was trying hard to get back on track with God. Time and time again, during those years post ACU, God brought just the right people at just the right time to help me on my journey. Meeting Jeff was a total fluke. Falling in love with Jeff was a total gift. And spending the past 7 years, 5 of those married, have been the best years of my life.

God blessed me at just the right time without me having to even look for it or manipulate the situation. Jeff fell into my lap like a gift from above. Our marriage, like all marriages has had it's ups and downs. In fact last night, we were fighting for the covers in the wee small hours of the morning and he said, "I don't know if we are going to make it to 5 years." To which I replied, "Yeah because I am going to knock you out before morning if you don't shut up!"
But I will take the good with the bad because both bring us closer to each other and God's will for our lives.

Life has been sweet with Jeff.

I am blessed.

God has blessed us.

Now I am off to scrub the joint while Jeff is off running errands.
I have learned over the past 5 years, his favorite thing of all time is to walk into a house that smells all clean and fresh. And what my baby wants, my baby gets.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Sweet story . .I love what the Lord has done in your life, my friend! You have always been such a blessing to me!! happy Anniversary!

Rachel said...

So sweet! Happy happy happy anniversary!