Remember last week when I talked to you all about my Monday night television line up?
Well, let me just say that God has convicted me of that line up. And I want to say this before I tell you what has happened, this is a personal conviction for me. I am not trying to change you or make you feel bad for watching it but I just felt that I needed to explain what God has done this week to my heart. Especially after writing my post last week about the Monday television line up.
Last week, Jeff worked days (he usually works nights for those of you who may not know). Since he was home at night, he sat down to watch a few of the shows that I have on my weekly line up. The one that made him mad was The Bachelor.
Susan, you really watch this stuff?
Yes.
Why?!?
What good does it do for you?
I had no answer. I turned if off but later went and watched it online at abc.com, the frugal person's DVR. During the week the Lord was gnawing at my spirit. You know how it is, you know you shouldn't do such things, but you do it anyway, because it is cheap entertainment, then later you feel guilty, like you just wasted a few brain cells watching girls chase after a man. Pathetic! If you really think about it.
So last night, I tuned into The Bachelor. Jeff was at work, I had no one but myself to hold me accountable. And I will admit I watched the whole show without hesitation. I really didn't feel bad for it until this morning when I started my quiet time. I was even going to blog about how I couldn't believe he let Holly go! But back to my quiet time...
Philippians 4:8-9 is the verse that originally convicted me of what shows I allow myself to watch. I was very good at this a few months ago and God used that time to really draw me closer to Him. But I started to watch these shows again, one-by-one, because I felt left out of the conversations my friends were having. I didn't want to admit to others that I didn't watch these shows because I didn't want to sound like a religious freak. Seriously, this was my thinking. How dumb of me?!? And this is where one of my parents would gently ask, "If all your friends jumped off a cliff would you do it?" And I would have to answer, "Sure why not, I always wanted to jump off a cliff."
Just kidding. And then I realized that I am not the only one feeling this way. Thank you Julie for reiterating what the Lord was already saying to me this morning.
So I am going to spend this week, examining my shows based on Philippians 4:8-9.
And I am pretty sure that my Monday line up is going to not be the same when I am through.
And just because I am curious, not becasue I am wanting to start a televison watching revival.
If you had to what television show would you give up? If any?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I really and truly don't watch much tv these days. Lack of time and quite frankly with this anemia I am lucky to stay up past 7:00.
I have in the past watched shows like the Batchelor, and once upon a very long time ago evey Monday night I would get together with my girlfriends and a bottle of wine to watch Melrose Place.
They call these shows, "guilty pleasures" for a reason.
The verse that comes to mind for me is: 1 Corinthians 6:12
"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.
When you think of it like that it changes your perspective on many things - except coffee and chocolate.
the writer's strike has been a blessing. I had no choice to give up my weekly dose of "this is ridiculous waste of time" more commonly known as (whispers) Grey's Anatomy.
I will not be tuning in to catch the rest of the season!
What a great post, Suz!
Much of my withdrawal from TV has to do with not wanting to waste what little precious time I do have watching something that isn't wholesome or fulfilling. There are a few shows I'll stop down for, The Office for instance simply because of its hilarity.
But there truly is very little substance or quality that can be found on TV - with or without the writer's strike!
Post a Comment