I am amazed that from the time that Maudie became our neighbor to her death today it has only been 30 days.
Three weeks ago she went into the hospital room where she later died with a bad case of pneumonia. Two weeks ago, we prayed with Maudie for her to be saved and learned that she had stage 4 lung cancer. One week ago, we were talking with the doctors about moving her to a rehab facility. And today she is dancing with the angels and swaying to the music with Pop.
What I learned from the past 30 days:
1. Prayer is a powerful tool
2. Trust your gut instincts when the Lord lays people on your heart to minister to.
3. When you get the feeling something big is about to take place get ready because it's true.
4. Building a relationship with a non-believer is one of the best ways to open the doors to talk about Jesus.
5. Cherish every moment with loved ones because you never know when it will be the last.
Moving forward...
I have a favor to ask of you. I want to put a book together for the Cherry Family and would like your help.
What is a scripture you cling to in times of mourning? What brings you comfort when you are facing a tough season in your life?
I am leaving this post up for a few days since we will obviously be busy. So please, please, please take a minute to give us a verse. I would love to knock there socks off with wonderful verses to carry them through this rough season.
In fact I will be the first to leave one. in the comments.
(Lurkers can comment too-ain't no shame in admitting you are out there!)
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
1 Cor. 4: 16-17
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
There is nothing better than a long trip through Psalms...Lets start with Psalms 145:17-19....
The Lord is righteous in all his ways and loving to all he has made. The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fufulls the desires of those who fear him: He hears their cry and saves them.
I can see both you and Maudie in this verse. Praying for you all. BK
I love you honey. This is a great way to reach out to your hurting family! :)
When my heart is hurting like that, I cling to John 14: 1-4
"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going."
And with any struggle in my life, regardless of what it is, Romans 5:1-5 gets me... in a great way.
"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with GOd through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through Him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."
Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Isaiah 40:31
"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strengh; they shall mount up with wings as eagles."
Praying for you and your family!
When I've really been struggling, I always remember Psalm 23:" The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever."
I especially appreciate the promise in the last part, that goodness and mercy will follow us, which is so much more than we deserve! It's comforting to remember in times of trouble.
2 Corinthians 12:9: And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
Key phrase: MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR YOU! :)
Post a Comment