
Today Granny turns 75. I chose this picture of her b/c she looked so pretty at my wedding. Plus I threw away that purse she is carrying the other day not realizing that she carried the blasted thing in my wedding! Whoops!
In honor of her 75Th birthday here is 75 things I love about Granny.
1. Her laugh, I love to hear her get tickled.
2. All the little dresses and camp shorts she used to make for me.
3. Her chocolate cream pie
4. The many hands of Old Maid that we used to play around her table late into the night.
5. When I was little, she would scratch my back softly to wake me up.
6. She used to let me set up my own little corner in her office at the antique shop. I would play for hours or read the old books from this ladies booth. It was in that office that I fell in love with Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.
7. My love of antiques came from the many hours I would spend at their store.
8. As I got bigger, she let me handle the cash register or wrap up people's packages for them. I can still remember her teaching me how to close down the cash drawer. She was brave since math was not my speciality.
9. On my birthday she would take me for a day of fun, just the two of us. I cherished the one on one time.
10. Her letters she used to send to me at camp and college.
11. The Christmas that she taught Cousin Valerie and I how to make Peppermint Bark.
12. Her patience with us in the kitchen that day. I think that is the day we dubbed her kitchen a "one butt kitchen."
13. One time I had chicken pox and she came to sit with me all day.
14. Her love of Jeopardy. Don't you dare call her during the show, it could get ugly.
15. She was my first piano teacher.
16. The smell of eggs and bacon cooking in the mornings.
17. Her love for Christmas.
18. Her love for her family. I believe we cousins are close because of the love the Cagle siblings had for one another.
19. Her love for tradition.
20. I love the fact that I heard her say Damn for the first time this week. I am 30 years old and this was the first time I heard her cuss.
21. Her birthday is the same day as Willie Nelson's.
22. She was the first person I swapped books with as an adult. I love that she loves to read as much as me.
23. I love the fact that my friends also her call her Granny B. She is a grandmother to everyone-even the strays. :)
24. I love that she used to call me every six weeks to hear my grades.
25. I love that she still does that to my younger cousins.
26. I love that all of us cousins never want to disappoint her with bad grades.
27. I love that when she calls me now she says, "It's me."
28. I love that we used to set a day aside for us to Christmas shop together.
29. I love that once a month she wants me to read "the blogs" to her just in case she forgets something.
30. I love that the other day Granny told Bonner it was time to pass on the rocker to me.
31. I love that they told me that the rocker was for my baby nursery.
32. I love that she has been one of our biggest cheerleader with project plus sign.
33. I love that she still loves to do a crossword.
34. I love that she loves crosswords because her big sister Ruby still does them.
35. I love that she loves to watch sports with her husband.
36. I love that she is as big of a Maverick fan as me.
37. I love that she loved her mother-in-law like she was her own mother.
38. I love that she loves my husband like she was her own grandson.
39. I love that sometimes I feel like they love him more than me. :)
40. I love that loves her great grandchildren deeply.
41. I love that she has Bonner stock up on candy just for Elijah.
42. I love that she calls the Internet the "Internets"
43. I love that she will be watching Food Network and want a recipe and will call me to say, "Can you print that off the Internets for me?"
44. I love that she loves a good country tune.
45. I love that even though she loves country she has allowed the teen cousins to program the radio with rap music and Kiss FM.
46. I love that she listens to their music when they drive her around.
47. I love the way she holds the handle tightly like she is going to fall out of the car when I am driving 20 miles or slower.
48. I love the fire in her belly.
49. I love that she can still recite the preamble to the constitution.
50. I love how she is fast to solve the puzzle on Wheel of Fortune
51. I love that I am able to bring her comfort during these time when breathing is difficult and she is worn out.
52. I love that the other day she called to vent and after she got done getting the stuff off her chest I said, "I love you Granny." And she responded by saying "I know you do and I love you." Sometimes I think she just needs a listening ear and I am thankful that I can be that to her.
53. I love that we have been able to talk about God in a deeper way since the death of Miller (Her oldest son) and through my waiting period. I pray daily that she will see the hand of God in the big and small things.
54. I love that the other day after years of saying to her, "God blessed you today didn't He?" that she said God blessed her today and gave a reason without my prompting.
55. I love that she and my grandfather love each other deeply even to this day.
56. I love that they still get tickled with each other with their inside jokes that I will never understand.
57. I love that she is full of fun memories to share.
58. I love that when we were packing she and Bonner would tell me about the memories that were tied to this item or that.
59. I love that when I told them to go sit down and rest they listened so that I could get more work done.
60. I love her cornbread and she promised to make it for me in a week or two...when things get settled down.
61. I love that everywhere you go people know her name like the doctor's office or grocery store. They always say "Hello Mrs. ___"
62. I love watching old movies with her. She will call and say, "Did you know that this movie is on?" And I will turn it on to watch too.
63. I love that she lives less than 5 minutes from me so that I can stop by.
64. I love that she enjoys celebrating every one's birthday.
65. I love that she has worn the same style shoes for many, many years. I call them her Granny shoes.
66. I love that she lives on the edge-she told me she gave up "over the shoulder boulder holders" a year ago because "She is living on the edge now."
67. I love that every time you come by to see her no matter how little energy she has, she will get up to give you a hug.
68. I love that every time I leave her house she walks me to the door and says, "Be safe on the way home."
69. I love that she sometimes will call to say "Did you get home all right?" Although I have yet to have a phone call since they have moved close to me.
70. I love how on our road trips she looks forward to our postcards so she can keep track of us.
71. I love that when I was packing up a drawer I found all the postcards we have sent over the years.
72. I love that one of Granny's smells is Estee Lauder Pleasure's.
73. I love that she has a smell that I can distinguish as hers.
74. I love that no matter how old I get that I can still call her Granny.
75. I love that when I called to wish her happy birthday she started dying laughing. I later found out that Bonner had just run up and down the hall naked because the hot water went out during his shower. I told her it was a birthday jig and not to stifle his creativity. She answered with a "Gosh, Susan. Some kind of birthday present that was!"
If you made it to the bottom of this list, bless you.
4 comments:
That was the sweetest post ever... LOVE those special special grandparents!! What a sweet treasure you must be to her... and vice versa. Love it
This is so special. My sweet Granny went home to be with Jesus in September....reading your thoughts of your grandmother is such a sweet reminder of how special grandparents are! You are blessed to have such a special relationship with her!
I love your Granny too! I know her as Martha Gwen, I am Aunt Bessie's niece, Beth. Please wish Martha Gwen a very happy birthday late from me and Rozelle, my mother.
What a sweet tribute.
Who is in the picture with her? That's not Jeff, is it??
Post a Comment