Ah, welcome to the blog. The place I turn to when I can not sleep for all the thoughts running through my head.
Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. I should be sleeping but I can't.
Partially due to all the things on my to-do list, thinking over this and thinking over that. And the rest being that my husband beat me to the bed and is now laying diagonally and snoring. LOUDLY. And why do men turn into super fiery furnaces when they sleep? I am already having hot flashes as it is (side effect of the meds) and when you add in the fiery beast I call hubs it gets hot in the room.
But my super fiery furnace, is sweet, yes he is. He cleaned the kitchen this week and did all the laundry without me asking. I am grateful. Tomorrow he is venturing out with me to help move my grandparents and that has proven to be a love offering of gigantic proportions.
Note to self for when we move: THROW OUT THE CRAP BEFORE YOU PACK.
I love my g-parents very much but man, they will not get rid of ANYTHING because it is all worth something. Unfortunately it is all a junk and not worth a hill of beans.
Perfect example, they had a bunch of writing pens that they have collected over the years in a brass cup. You know the kind you get when you go to the bank, school function or store? None of the pens work and they are covered with 4 inches of dust because they haven't been used since Clinton was president. Granny told me to ask my grandfather what he wanted to do with them and not just throw them away. Seeing as how she said this as I had one hand on the garbage bag and was turning the cup in order to drop it in, I figured I better ask. God knows dried up writing pens with 4 inches of dust are great worth. Do you know what Bonner (g-daddy) said to me, "Do you think they are worth anything?"
"Uh no. Come on Bonner let's live dangerously and toss em in the trash."
He agreed but man it just gets better from there.
Sixteen year old cousin Martha and I have been throwing stuff away when no one is watching and between her texting her friends. She will hold something up and say, "Toss it quick, they will never know." And so when Granny and Bonner's attention has been turned elsewhere we secretly throw away the junk.
Now Cagle Cousins you keep your mouth closed. Don't you dare tell them our secret. Oh and be watching in the mail because Granny not only wanted me to send an email to you all with her contact information but she also wanted to send a letter, handwritten with the new info listed. I keep telling her "Granny you do not know the power that is behind a simple email." To which she replies, "Yes, yes I know but I don't want to loose contact with anyone, so send a letter too." Cagle's, I am begging you, call her new number starting Sunday so she knows that all is well and drop that girl a card in the mail (her 75th birthday is Thursday)
You know, I say all of this and it may sound like I am complaining but the truth is, I would move heaven and earth to help my grandparents. They have been so good to me over the years and I cherish every single moment with them. I realize that they won't be around for the rest of my life so I see things like driving to doctor appointments, grocery shopping, mailing and emailing contact information, packing, unpacking their stuff as a gift from God. It is one more memory I can log into the noggin and the memories I will cherish on the days that Granny isn't just a phone call away. I am so happy that they will be less than 5 minutes from me. I could run to their house if I chose to. But since I am not completely crazy about excercise I will drive, thank you. I pray that all my actions can show God's love to them, especially my grandfather who does not want you to mention God or church to him. All though, the past few weeks, we have had more talks about how God has blessed him over the years. Mainly due to the fact that I ask him every day, "Do you realize how blessed you are by God to have a granddaughter like me?" This always gets a sly smile and a toss of Reese's peanut butter cup (our favorite snack) But I pray, oh how I pray, that my actions and my unconditional love be the thing that soften Bonner's heart to God. I believe Bonner needs more than words about God but the actions to back it up. Plus, I made a promise to my great-grandmother, his mother, that I would never give up on him coming to know Jesus. So I choose not to give up on them, no matter how crazy tomorrow turns out. I will not give up on them.
And that dear friends, is all the dumping I have for the blog tonight.
Good night, sleep tight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good Luck with the move we will be thinking of y'all today.
I am secretly (HA) planning a field trip with the kids to their new residence. I will give you a call! Love you. They are blessed to have you as a grandaughter!
My parents started "cleaning out" their house when they recently had to move my grandmother to the metroplex from the house she had lived in 30+ years... talk about some junk. They decided they didn't want a job so big falling on my sister and I so they've started clearing things out... I'm so grateful!
You had me laughing on the pens! I know exactly what you mean. My parents actually have a few that I remember using back in junior high or before.... Not that they're actually attached to them, but they just have never gotten around to tossing them. Hey, you never know, maybe they will start working again next time you pick one up.
I hear you on the snoring. When Chris is sick, the snoring is brutal. I'm usually the furnace though!
Post a Comment